Jumper.................need advice

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

my wife found the bigger of my 2 clowns all dried up on the floor last night............looks like he jumped, friggin sux ass man - - she was two years old and a very happy fish. im thinking she touched the urchin or something and got spooked and hit the surface and didn't stop.....................

the advice im asking for now is on replaceing her .................the other clown is small {1 1/2 inch} but is 2 yrs old as well...............will a new clown be a fight fest or will a new clown becaome a companion ???i was thinking about a pair of black oscelaris but not sure i dont want to cause a situation where the lil guy gets beat up

ideas??

Sad Boss and family

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I would personally buy the smallest one you can find. The one in your tank has established territory...and if you let it keep it, i dont think you will have any problems. I would think that would be the best way.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok second opinion here...... if you buy a smaller fish than what you already have, it is possible that your new old fish could be so territorial it drives your new fish to jump, or become stressed......... i bought a matching black and white oscellaris for my old one, the new one being baout 1/8 in shorter and at first he could stick up for himself but now my old clown jus bullies him, not to the point of stress its jus that the new clown has to stay in a certain area... .and def no go near the nem.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Sorry to hear about your lil fishy.

Can't comment on clown fish myself, but the other day I was sitting next to my gar tank and there is a small 3-6 inch area I put food in through. My 16 inch gar jumped right out and onto the floor right in front of me!

I'm soooooo glad I was there to save it. No more escape holes in that tank.

Good luck with the clown situation Boss. PK

jweb

by jweb

I think it's a hit or miss type of thing. I have heard of people having success and people having trouble with clowns. My clowns jump sometimes at night. I think they have dreams, or nightmares lol.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Now we are talking.
Just get another one. Its a guessing game, you never no what will happen

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i love true percs.................but ive always wanted black and white Oscelaris.........just asking for more trouble switching species of clowns on top of adding to a single clown tank now ????

i dont know about dreaming Jweb, but they do get spoocked very easily at night {or when the tank is dark} ive been up after the tank lights have been out for a couple hours and walk over to look out the back window and they've scattered to the point that i could hear their splashes over the filter and skimmer - - -jittery lil fellas for sure

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Boss, is your tank in a high traffic area? Mine literally lay on the sand and sleep at night. I can come right up to the tank and put my hand in, and they wont move. Crazy how different one species can be from tank to tank.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

nope its on the end of the living room.............they used to snuggle up on the output return nozzle on the overflow..............always were jumpy lil guys ............im thinkin my daughters 3 cats have had something to do with that........damn animals, lol

jweb

by jweb

Mine were shipped in from australia and were wild caught. Out of the 8 pairs that the shop owner bought, mine were the only ones that successfully ate, thanks to expert help. Every other pair that the shop sold and kept died. Mine hang out near the top of the tank by the power head and magnet cleaner, they just bob up and down all night and occasionally jump up out of the water for no apparent reason at all.

15 posts • Page 1 of 2