DIY co2 is a pain in the ass!

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Getting the pH to a level my tetras will stay alive in is turning out to be really difficult.

There was way too much co2 at first and the pH went from 8 to 6. I kept pouring half the mix out and still the pH was 6. Did it again and still 6.

I think 1/4 teaspoon of yeast will be about right. I run the co2 through my canister filter, which is really good at getting it into the water, but I'm damned sick of killing my neon and cardinal tetras.

When I get it perfect I'm trading a lfs a bunch of small tilapia and a bunch of plants for some more.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

This site limits initial post lengths......so to continue....

A store actually wants to trade a bunch of tilapia, as well as my extra plants, for cardinal tetras.

I want about 20-30 in my 30 gallon planted.

I waited till the pH was about 6.6, put 6 in the tank and they all seem to be doing fine.

For anyone doing DIY co2, co2 concentration is critical, if you both want to keep plants growing as if they're on steroids, and keep sensitive fish like tetras as well.

The amount of yeast and the effectivness of your diffuser are the critical variables, not the sugar.

I was sick of my striped (rasboras?) or whatever, I thought were going to be schooling fish but they didn't school!

They just each swam around in a crazy and irritating way, so I stuck them into another tank.......and then I'm gona trade for more tetras because this store is badly in need of more fish and plants.

As the reader can see, I'm bored off my ass right now.

NIIIIIIIIIIK9381

by NIIIIIIIIIIK9381

reallly? i didnt notice. i didnt bother about a Diy system for that reason, not being able to accuratly measure how much co2 is goin in and all that. i can also see y you are so annoyed, i hate when this happens.
anyway im bored now
l8rs nik

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I'm just tired of trying to get a steady amount. If I could I'd buy another mini canister (like the one that came with my original kit (the nutrafin bubble ladder system for a rippping $30) and venturi the second canister through a powerhead, use half doses of yeast and start one mid-week after the other was started, I think that would work well. The store-bought yeast I use now barely lasts a week before it dies, and the concentration of CO2 varies a great degree over the week I'm sure.

I want champagne yeast so damn bad but still haven't been able to find any. They don't even sell the little nutrafin packets at the local petsmart anymore so I'm just going through massive amounts of sugar..

My plants are growing horribly but I think my light bulbs might be pretty much burned through all their life-giving days..My tank still isn't nearly the same since cyanobacteria wiped everything out. :(

I've never had probs with tetras in my 16 and the pH can swing pretty heavy sometimes. Are you buffering it with anything like wood or peat PK?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

There's wood in there.

OK dammit! I totally unhooked the co2 and the pH stayed at 6(or less!)

I did a 1/2 water change and still 6(or less)

There has been the same wood for the last 2 years.

I have a canister filter on this tank I run co2 through as a diffuser, and I also have a sponge over it's intake. I opened it up to see how dirty it was once after about 6 months and it was practically clean, so I thought I wouldn't have to clean it much......just clean the sponges on the canister and the powerhead.

I just cleaned the canister again, and removed 1/2 the tank water......replaced with pH 8 tap water and I get a wee change from 6 (or less! to about 6.1.

I have to buy some more dechlorinator and do some more water changes and I'll see what happens.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I think I have finally wiped out most of my cyanobacteria by getting nitrates to zero or close, and also thinning out 90% of the plants a couple days ago.

CB usually comes back within a day and it's been gone for 2 now, so I think it's gone. That stuff sucks!

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Just go to a local welding supply store and see if they will let you buy a used 5lb cylinder. I just bought a 10lb for my calcium reactor for 50 bucks.....hook up a regulator and your in business....resale is very easy, and the cylinders last forever! :) It will save you a headache in the long run.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Thanks. Don't have $50 to spare right now. I think the low pH had something to do with the canister. After cleaning it the pH seems to be stablising. I got it to stay about pH 7 after adding pH 8 water to pH 6, and now with co2 I want to get it to about 6.6, which I think the Tetras will like.

I haven't lost any since yeasterday, so I think things are going to be OK.

I'll get a cylinder sooner or later,

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Ahh, gotcha. They are certainly worth it. I bet it would last you over a year. Glad you got your PH right. :)

9 posts