wat do i do

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

vixx

wat do i do

by vixx

hi...can somebody help me please....ive just got a new tank. can anybody tell me what i need to do with the new tank before i move my fish from my old tank into it. do i need to start over or can i just move the water from my old tank into the new one. any help will be much appreciated as im a complete beginner.

peterkarig

by peterkarig

OK, to get started........Do you want any live plants, even the easy to grow, very beautiful, low-light variety?

Are you using an under-gravel filter?

What is the size of the new tank, and what kind of filter do you have?

Do you understand the need to grow benneficial bacteria needed to break down fish and other waste into less toxic nitrates?

Have you had problems, and what are they, with the tank you already have?

Tell us more and we can help more. PK

vixx

by vixx

hiya.. thanx for getting back to me..

I have no live plants in the old tank and am not intending to have any in the new one.

I haven't an under gravel filter in the old tank (which is 36"x12"x18" ) just an internal fluval 3+...
The new tank is coming with an internal fluval 4+ filter and is pretty much the same size, just a better tank.

Ive had my old tank a good few months and haven't had any problems for quite a while now but i dont really understand about beneficial bacteria etc...i do 20% water changes weekly and test the ph level but thats about it. The fish i have in the old tank seem to be doing well

thanx again for your help

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

The first toxic product produced by fish and other waste is ammonia

The second is nitrites, which are created when bacteria break down the ammonia.

The third is nitrates, which are created when bacteria break down the nitrites and change them into nitrates.

Nitrates are the end product, and the least toxic. It's actually fertiliser for plants, if you have any. The water changes you do are to dilute and reduce the nitrates which build up over time and do eventually become toxic over time.

The benneficial bacteria live in the filter pads mainly, and in other surfaces in the tank. By rotating filter pads you keep an older pad which is full of bacteria doing it's work while the new one is getting seeded and growing lots of bacteria. Then as the new pad gets astablished you can eventually replace the other, and so on.

Without a good collony of benneficial bacteria your water will quickly become poisonous to the fish.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

A nitrate test kit is a valuable kit to have, as long as the bacteria are doing the 2 first parts of the breakdown of waste.

When the nitrate levels get up to 20 or so the water should be changed, say 30% or so, till the level reach 10 or less.

Ask more if you have more questions. PK

vixx

by vixx

hi...thanx for the info...

i'll definitely get a nitrate test kit when i get the new tank up and running.

so....could i use the old filter in the new tank AS WELL as using the new filter until the new filter starts growing its own beneficial bacteria ? would this work ? Should I also use the water from the old tank as well ? and would this mean i could move my fish straight away into the new tank ?

The new tank is arriving on Monday, so i'm hoping I will have an idea what to do by then so I appreciate all your help ..Vix

Filmoreslim

by Filmoreslim

you can use both if you want its more stuff but it will keep your tank clean when i changed tanks i put the gravel and as much water as i could in the new tank and the new tank was fine and i did not have to start over

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I agree with Mr Slim.

Use the old filter along with the new one to "seed" the new filter with bacteria, and as a rule, the more filtration the better. Using both wouldn't be a bad idea, and then you can rotate filter cleanings that way.

Also, unless the filter pad, or whatever, is falling apart you can just rinse them out and re-use them (esp if you can change the charcoal). Some people say you should rinse them in water that's been de-chlorinated, like the water you take out during water changes, but if you already have a "live" pad going you can just rinse it in the sink. That's what I do.

I also agree about using the gravel and water from the old tank, though you might end up with a lot of gunk in the water that came from the old gravel.

I guess I'd use the old water by removing most of it and puting it in a separate container, along with the fish. Then rinse out the old gravel, add it to the new tank, set it up, and then add most of the water.

Then add the fish and the rest of the water.

Lastly, don't get confused with the difference between nitrites and nitrates. Some people miss seeing the difference with an (a) in one and an (i) in the other

It's fish poop and other rotting stuff that makes ammonia.

One kind of bacteria turn the ammonia into nitrites.

the other kind turns the nitrites into nitrates.

vixx

by vixx

You have been very helpful....thankyou....it's much appreciated :)

vixx

by vixx

just to let you know.....i took all your advice and everything went very well with the big move...the new tank looks great and the fish seem happy in their new , slightly larger, home. :)

wat do i do

11 posts • Page 1 of 2