WHY CANT ANY ONE TELL ME SOME FREAKING FISH I CAN HAVE

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I have a 20 gallon fish tank with 2 yo yo loaches and a dwarf gourami with live plants.

tinadno

by tinadno

I'd say get schooling fish like cherry barbs, silver dollars, neons and you can add a catfish to if you wanted.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

calm down turbo..... :)

You really don't have too many options in a 20 gal. If you already have a gourami I would think about adding one more (they usually do better in pairs) but like tinadno said a school of barbs might be okay. I would avoid the silver dollars (they will get to be for a 20 gal) you could also do maybe a school of small tetras (neon, rummynose, or xray would be good choices) instead of the barbs. I think tetras are better tempered than barbs. One of my favorite small school fish are the white clouds, you could get a group of them. Also, the yo yo loach will definetley get to big in a 20 gallon, I would suggest getting rid of them. Some other good options for bottom feeders would be group of cory cats or otocinclus "otto's". So you could do something like this

2 Dwaf Gouramis
4-6 of a schooling fish (tetra/rasboras/barbs/white clouds)
3-5 cory cats or otto's or both
and then you could maybe do a few oddball fish (guppies/platies/killifish)
That would make for a nice colorfull 20 gal fish tank!

Hopefully this will give you a better idea.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Make sure it's a dwarf catfish as they get big fast and will eat all your smaller fish.

I agree with the above people about schooling fish. I have some zebra danios (I think) and they DO NOT school very well.

I love ottos (ottocinclus) They're not really a catfish, but are great as they stay small, look cute, are one of the best algae cleaning fish, and only get to about an inch or so.

Coolie loaches, which are like little banded eels, are also fun fish. Buy at least a few because they hide a lot and will be more seen in numbers, and they also stay very small.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Schooling fish are great to watch, because as they school, it's fun to watch them. The dwarf gourami is the biggest fish and I read are peaceful to others, though can get aggressive with other gouramis.

Gouramis I read inhabit the middle to the top of the tank, so read up on their ideal plant arangement so they can be happy.

I'd make sure the plants are set up so there are different areas of open space so the different kinds of fish can establish their own territories and some can hide too, which actually makes them feel safer and more willing to calm down and show themselves.

I love anubias bartari, or other types of anubias, as they are great for fish to hide under, and since the leaves are football (American football) shaped, you will be able to see the fish even when they're hiding.

Anubias is super easy to grow, needs little light, and can grow in the substraight, on rocks, and on wood. It's roots are really pretty when grown on things (tied down until the roots get a grip) as they look like jungle tree roots. They even have flowers sometimes. They're my favorite, and as I said, they're one of the easiest plants to grow and need the least amount of light of any aquatic plant I know.

Filmoreslim

by Filmoreslim

i have had a dwarf Gourami and it got big and killed evey kind of new fish i put in with the same size try brass tetras thay school well and are strong fish not like neons who are seasonal and die all the time

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Same with Filmoreslim my gourami KILLES ANY GOURAMI I PUT IN THERE EVEN ITS WIFE!!!!!!! What should I do with the yo yo loaches?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I Will go with esper's idea

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I think a dojo loach would be ok in a 20 gallon. They do get about 6 inches long, but if you have hiding places, and gravel that's not sharp, it'll be pretty happy. They can dig stuff up though.

Anyone else think a dojo would be ok in a 20 gallon?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

THanks But I will be limited to fish. They love the shrimp pellets too

15 posts • Page 1 of 2