Snowflake Eel

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

Snowflake Eel

by newbie916

Hey guys,

Just set up my third tank... My two year old has a thing for eels and one of the local LFS's is going out of business, so I bought him a snowflake eel for $10. Unfortunately, I wasn't planning on it and didn't do any research. Found out that he wasn't a good match for my two reef tanks with all of the crabs and shrimp I have. So I just dug up my original 12 gallon that I bought my little guy a year and a half ago. The one that started the addiction..lol Anyways, all I have in it is 5lbs of LR right now. I'll probably put in another 20lbs or so and some LS. What else do these guys need?

By the way, I picked up some killer Acans, Blastos, food, and some other stuff. Everything was half off. Sucks to see another business go under though. Sign of the times.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Fresh prawns. Mine loves them. Hates bait prawns hes a picky bastard.

Barnsey9276

by Barnsey9276

Firstly this is nothing personnel m8,but i find this very irritating.

You are not doing yourself or more importantly the fish any favours by making an impulse bargain purchase.
These fish often get to 28 inches in aquariums meaning 50 gallons is an absolute minimum in my opinion.

Sounds to me like the tank isnt even cycled as you havent put nearly enough Rock in it and no LS.

That aside i cant seriously believe many 12 Gal tanks have sufficient filtration and a suitable skimmer to keep a messy eating fish of this type,id be trying to re home it asap.

newbie916

by newbie916

I'll try to feed him fresh prawns, when he starts eating.

Thanks Puff

newbie916

by newbie916

Barnsey,

I usually don't do impulse buys and I cringed when my wife said she wanted one as well. I already have two reef systems that I work on regularly a 95 gallon and 24 gallon. I was going to put it in my 95 gallon, but I have several cleaner, fire, and peppermint shrimp in there. There's over 175lbs of LR and 100lbs of LS in my 95. In my 24 gallon I have over 35 lbs of LR and 20lbs of LS. Both tanks have top of the line equipment and hold thousands of dollars of healthy corals and livestock. I do weekly 20% water changes on both and use Reef Crystals and dose daily.

The reasoning behind the 12 gallon was because the Snowflake Eel has an injury on the rear top portion of its body. I'm not sure, if its because it was moved from a larger display to a smaller one since the shop was closing. However, she had it in one of their displays for over a year. The owner didn't know what she was going to do with it and hence gave it to me for $10 because she knew the care and dedication I give to my animals. However, you are correct about the lack of filtration and cycling in my 12 gallon. I used 10 gallons of water from my established system and 2 gallons of new SW. I also pulled the little amount of LR from my system for him to be able to hide a little for the evening. I'm going to buy 20lbs of LS and another 20lbs of LR today. I will probably pull 20lbs of LR from my established system, since it's fully cured for the last two years and replace it in my main tank. That's how I seeded and cycled my 24 gallon 7 months ago. Never had any water issues because I did weekly 50% water changes for a month and tested daily. The nice thing by doing this, is there is little die off on the rocks which shortens and minimizes the cycling period. It's very similar to a mini cycle during a tank move. I will do weekly water changes until it stablizes and if I run into any water issues, I'll place the eel in my 35 gallon refugium.

Instead of getting irritated, please ask questions about the full story before making judgments of irresponsible reefing. After the eel is healthy again. I will probably place him in my 95 gallon, but may find him a new home with one of my friends with a 120 gallon predatory tank. I wanted to QT him because the last thing I want to do is have him die and crash my main system. I do appreciate your honesty and if you do have any suggestions of helping me get this eel back to health, please let me know. I've only been reefing for 2 years, but I'm passionate about the success and tranquility of this hobby. Also, it gives my two little boys a greater respect of the delicate nature of the world around us.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

concerns well said Barnsey.............................more importantly reaction well stated Newbie

keep us posted i have been looking at snowflakes for a while and theres really not alot of info on em out there other than the standard - -feed em this and min tank size

what do they really like

what is really safe with them

what can they really live in and at what time of their lives {i.e. i have never seen livestock at an lfs in suggested tank size tanks} everyone knows that 30 clownfish shouldnt be housed in a 20 gallon tank - - but that doesnt stop them from being healthy for a time............}

anyway, post info and updates on your eel, i and maybe others are interested - - -as well as your thoughts and advice to Barnsy

later all

Boss

Barnsey9276

by Barnsey9276

Buddy i can only comment on what i see in the post i reply to,if you re read your first post you gotta admit things didnt look good did they:)

However your second post clarifies alot that wasn't mentioned in your first post.

As i said no offence was meant,

Sadly the level of ignorance/stupidity in our hobby is enormous.

Im glad to here you appear to be as conscientious as myself and a few of the others that frequent these boards.
Last edited by Barnsey9276 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barnsey9276

by Barnsey9276

One other thing,if the tank dosnt have a lid i would organise on as soon as possible,snowflakes escape like crazy given the chance.
As for the fishes injury id just go with the best water quality you can muster combined with the best food going.
Your eel will eat octopus,squid,krill,mussels and maybe silver sides too.
You might need to start him on live ghost shrimp while he settles in,then try and train him onto frozen with a feeding stick if need be.

As for computability you rightly said no crabs/snails/shrimps of any kind,although this guy is reef safe.

Small fish are obviously a bad idea,and i probably wouldnt keep it with really active feeders like triggers unless your happy to target feed it 2-3 times per week.

Other than that they are great hardy fish,ive had one in a 95 gal for over 4 years.
I

newbie916

by newbie916

No worries, I did re-read my first post and it was very vague. I just spent 4 hours trying to get everything settled with the 12 gallon and decided to post for some feedback. There are a lot of people out there that don't pay attention to the well being of their animals. It's a lot of hard work and very expensive to keep a few reef systems up and running, especially if you want them to grow and thrive.

I put in an extra 12lbs of cured LR and 20 lbs of LS yesterday, but I am worried about a mini cycle. I will probably give him to one of my friends with predatory or fish only tanks after he heals. It wouldn't be fair to my shrimp and crabs, if I put one of their natural predators in there with them. I also don't have time to buy and setup another large tank. My wife would kill me..lol

Thanks for the advice on the feeding. I've tried silversides and he doesn't touch them. I'm going to try krill right now and I'll get him a few ghost shrimp on my way home from work today. Thanks again and I look forward to getting more advice from you.

Chris

Snowflake Eel

9 posts