Haddons Carpet Anemone

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jweb

Haddons Carpet Anemone

by jweb

Does anyone have experience with these? Are they hard to take care of? Do they wander and kill other corals? I've heard they can eat smaller fish that swim near it (besides clownfish). What are your opinions? Should I get one for my paired true percs in my 58 gallon wide/tall?

gumbii

by gumbii

they are hard to care for, need a very mature tank, will move around if you don't have a DSB, can kill corals and i have seen them eat tangs, gobys, and other fish...

and you don't have enough tank space for a full grown haddoni... actually... no type of carpet... get a RBTA and hope that your perc's will host in it...

newbie916

by newbie916

Carpet anemone's require T-5 or MH lighting and they are really picky with water quality. They need proper PH, salinity, etc. However, they aren't that hard to keep. I gave my father inlaw a mated pair of percs and a carpet anem for his 50 gallon. It stays in the left hand quarter of his tank.

Like any other anemone they do sting other corals and it will limit you on corals. They tend to move as well. I have a very large 18" diameter pink bubbletip in my 95 gallon. He will sting any coral in his area, but he is awesome to look at. Hence I now have a 24 gallon for my nicer corals. The zoanthids seem to be immune to the sting, but they will close up and starve if the bubble tip stays over them for a long period of time.

It depends on what you want for your tank. They are awesome animals, but do cause issues with other corals. They will also eat any fish if caught besides clowns. I haven't lost any corals or fish, but it sure pissed me off a few times. Having to move my corals around so he'd stop stinging them. You will have to mess with your powerheads to move him into a different area. Anyways, they are great additions, but be cautious especially in a 55 gallon tank. They get rather large.

gumbii

by gumbii

i have a neon green stichodactyla gigantea for 8 months now in my SPS tank... it's so far ate two rock blennies and a flame hawk fish... it's over 19" wide at times...

i hate this anemone... my rose anemone's were a way better buy... they hardly move, grow kind of slow and haven't killed any of my corals or fish in the tank... and my ORA naked clowns rather host in the RBTA than the gigantica...

Haddons Carpet Anemone

4 posts