Moving- help!

8 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

smuckersdesoto

Moving- help!

by smuckersdesoto

Im moving out of my apartment into a house, and Im worried about moving my 3 fish tanks.. I have a 60 gal, 38 gal, 20 gal. Any advice on how to do this safely? The tanks are well established, so i dont want to lose a lot of beneficial bacteria! Thanks!

Filmoreslim

by Filmoreslim

im not the best person to ask but what i did was take the water out with out touching the gravel or the rocks in side then after the move i put the water in the tank shooting the gravel all over when i put the fish in every thing was good and the water sample i took to the petstore said my tank was fine i havent had any problem ive done this twice

smuckersdesoto

by smuckersdesoto

Did you save the water you took out of the tank or fill it up with "new" water? Im not sure if i need to go buy 12 buckets and save the aquarium water. Its going to be a longggg day moving aquariums if thats the case.

peterkarig

by peterkarig

I didn't save the water but for the bucket I took the fish in. I did leave about an inch of water in the botom of my tanks so I could keep the plants alive, and so I could splash the plants too.

I'd try and match the pH of the new water to the old water so the fish don't get pH shock, and also try to get the temp of the new water to be approx the temp of the water in the bucket or bags you move the fish in.

smuckersdesoto

by smuckersdesoto

Thanks guys :)

peterkarig

by peterkarig

Get 2 strong sets of arms, and backs as well, and carry the tanks IMO. I've busted a couple aquariums trying to use a dolly.

I also used cardboard in the bed of my truck to protect the glass.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

i work at my LFS part time on the weekends. we get these ??? all the time. your best bet to move the water in large quantities is to go out and by some of those rubbermaid totes and move the water that way. just make sure def have a dolly. for the beneficial bacteria of course keep the gravel,, heater, filter wet dont let it dry out. the bacteria shouldnt have a problem staying around. the fish use a five gallon bucket with and aerator to keep the h2o moving, when you move the tanks you can use bubble wrap walmart or target may have some in their loading dock that they may give you, or even shrink wrap. if you have a long trip from one place to the other you can try your LFS and see if they have and styrofoam boxes that the livestock comes in and transport your fish that way. and if its a long trip purchase a few of those "hot hands" packs for the the winter time to keep the water warm you will want to tape this to in the inside of the lids and of course use an aerator. never use a complete set of NEW water only do about 15-20% of new water if you plan on not taking it all. imo i would take all of my water if i could. also dont leave alot of weight in the bottom of the tank i.e. decor rocks etc. you can actually bust out the bottom of the tanks when you move them and all that weight is moving and sloshing around.
let me know if you have more ???? i be glad to help

smuckersdesoto

by smuckersdesoto

good idea on the rubbermaid totes... didnt think of that. Thanks for the ideas, should make this move a lot easier :)

Moving- help!

8 posts