i know they are....

10 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

breaknrun911

i know they are....

by breaknrun911

i have just come across a litter of snakeheads in one of my local rivers. so i decided to bring them home. i brought 2 of them home and they were bout 2in big and no color. now they are 4in big and getting their spots within a week!!! DNR says that since i took them out of the local rivers and that they are a pest i am doing them a favor. they are called northern snakeheads

peterkarig

by peterkarig

Cool fish. I'd say a 100 gallon or bigger might by a good size for keeping one or more of these. If you kept some you could have fun dropping in baby chicks, mice, and goldfish. My fish seem to get their hunting instinct back when they get live food. It's fun to watch them ambush their prey.

Maybe try to sell them to an aquarium store.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

i wish i could but its illegal to sell them in the US. its a madatory year sentence u get caught dumping them its a federal charge. so selling them to a lfs is a lil difficult

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

ok ill be the one to ask .....WTF is a snakehead...................lol

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

BOSS....type in northern snakehead on google images and look at the pics from fry to adults. they come in various species but this is the type i have, also go to wikipedia and read about them. in a nutshell they are look eel like fish that have the coloration and patterns of a snake and they have the ability to move from one body of water to another once the food rations run out. this is why they are pest to the ecosystem. they are more vicious than any pirahna. i dont want to give it all away check em out

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

HOLY FRIGGIN CRAP - - man them are some mean SOB's i youtubed em........................their meaner than piranah i think.......................not for me bud.......lol

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i meant they ARE meaner than piranah...........lol

j_bball_rox

by j_bball_rox

type in giant snakehead they are more aggressive and extremely evil looking lol also apparently i read somewhere that if they get too pissed or lonely that they have the capability and strength too break the glass and escape the tank. One of the guys on the forum said that his northern snakehead broke through 6cm of glass. My Thoughts HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!

J

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

oh yes they can. the photo i have is one of mine just shy of a month old. looking forward to them getting bigger but not looking forward to the dangers that can erupt once they get bigger.

Cross6236

by Cross6236

yeah i seen a clip on youtube crack an aquarium. they also say their great escape artists. they will find away out on any tank if they want to.

i know they are....

10 posts