Lion Hierarchy

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Tien6079

Lion Hierarchy

by Tien6079

I have noticed an interesting switch in the behavior of my lions. I have 2 lions and one is almost twice the size of the other. I had the small one many months before getting the new larger one. When I introduced the large lion, he would eat but was not as quick to react to the food. The smaller lion was aggressive and would swim in front of the other's mouth and steal the food before he could get to it. It was hard to spot feed the large lion because the small one would get to it first and wouldn't know when to stop. I think the small one was the dominant because he had established his territory. The large one must have submitted because he was new to the tank. Well, size is obviously a factor here. The roles have completely reversed. I can barely feed the small lion because the big one is soooo aggressive and gets to the food first. He takes it right from the prongs while I dangle the food in front of the smaller one! Anyway, I thought this was interesting.

peterkarig

by peterkarig

I wonder if you could alter the physical environment in a way so there are places tight enough for the smaller to hang out but too tight for the big one? You didn't say that the big one was badgering the smaller other than at feeding times, so I don't know if it's really a problem or not.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

No it is not a problem, I just thought it was really interesting.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

lol its like a kid trying something wrong for the first time, they watch for a lil while then they try it .................if they get away with it they keep doin it.

i wonder if the smaller lion had the where with all to attack the big one as soon as he took that first bite from him if the roles would have staid the same

definately interesting

Lion Hierarchy

4 posts