Organic sea salt from Trader Joes: natural iodide?

10 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

peterkarig

by peterkarig

I read on the lable that they dry it in a way that retains the natural iodode content. I know "iodised" salt with added iodine is bad for freshwater aquariums and I was wondering if this natural iodide would be a problem?

To be clear, this addition of salt is the small amount that is nessecary for my gars. The water is still considdered "fresh" water and my plants are still growing, but I push it toward the brackish range as my gars prefer that.

Should I use this salt?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Were is the trader Joes?

peterkarig

by peterkarig

Trader Joes is a grocery store chain that sells great food. They exist in many large cities and towns in the United States.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

WHAT state. mine has a aquarium section

peterkarig

by peterkarig

I live in Los Angeles when I'm not in NY, where my gars are(he he he, shhhhh), and Trader Joes is a Grocery Store that sells a great selection of low cost, non regular grocery brands, food for humans and a bit for cats and dogs.

It's not an aquarium store or a pet store. I just bought this dehydrated sea salt from TJ's and it has natural iodode in it and I was wondering if this iodide might be bad for my fish.

Many people with fresh water aquariums add salt (non-iodised: meaning, iodine has not been added as in regular table salt) because in small amounts it helps the fish stay slippery, or in other words, it aids the fish in maintaining their slime coat which is a protecive coating on fish that helps keep them from getting bacteria and fungus infections.

Most de-chlorinator (water conditioner) that most everyone uses to remove the chlorine and chloramines from tap water so it's not toxic to fish also has a slime coat aiding additive (sometimes salt) in it.
Last edited by peterkarig on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

peterkarig

by peterkarig

WAIT! Your Trader Joes has an aquarium section????

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I live in MO who new the hillbilly state had a intrist in fish.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I wouldnt maybe try it on a tank thats small and you hate the fish that are in it but...... If your willing to risk your gars.......... SHoot for the moon

mro2you2

by mro2you2

My trader Joes is like a mega mall It has a clean section a fish section a dog section a school section. The fish area is like those cheap fish shacks at walmart.

peterkarig

by peterkarig

No Joke! I love TJ's and never immagined they'd sell live fish.

OH, about the salt: I just found some aquarium salt so I'm using that.

10 posts