sporadic foxface behavior leads to death...

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jweb

by jweb

my onespot foxface was acting sporadic today and trying to jump out of the water numerous times. he would shoot over to a side of the tank and then try to jump out of the water, hit the crate on top, then float towards the bottom. he did this about 10-15 times today. one time he was laying on his side on the bottom looking almost dead and laying very still, i looked at him for a minute, me being very still to not scare him, then he instantly shot so fast to the other side of the aquarium i couldnt even see him. i let him be, because there really is nothing i could think of that i could possibly do. so just about 5 minutes ago i found him dead. there is nothing i can think of that could possibly be wrong with my tank. all my other fish and corals including softies and sps are doing amazing. i just tested my water parameters the other day and all checked out fine except Mg and pH were a tad bit low. the only thing i have done to the tank was add 10 cc of B-Ionic part 1 and 2, and a bit of pH buffer. what could be going on here?? i was thinking maybe it is just something wrong with the fish like a brain tumor or something like that. he was completely normal until today.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

no ideas bud, but sorry for the lose...that sucks

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

yeah I would vote with the he was sick route. And when I say sick.....I dont mean ich or worms.....like you said...tumor or old age, something along those lines. Sometimes it just happens. Sorry for your loss!

Ant071510085

by Ant071510085

sorry for the loss but i experienced the same thing with one of my molly. looks fine one day and the next just goes berserk.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

idk man something tells me that its not/ wasnt a tumor or sickness of some sort. I think that he strongly disliked somehting in the water or something in the tank was bothering him, maybe he got startled and never calmed down... idk im tryin to give some brain input here but im running on 2 hours of sleep. What about a parasite... i mean i know i feed my fish frozen foods like shrimp and whatnot, seafood is notorious for having things in them if they are not cooked correctly so it wouldnt suprise me if a parasite could have gotten into the fishs system. Then again some parasites travel to the brain so idk..... Its just baffling that your parameters are fine and youve had the fish for some time with all your other livestock doing fine....

jweb

by jweb

yea that is what baffles me too. i know foxfaces are really supposed to be in 70 gallon or larger aquariums, mine is a 58. However, I don't think that would lead to him suddenly getting fed up with it after 2 months or so of living in it. I mean he had plenty of hiding spaces, PLENTY. Although that is still a plausible cause...

peterkarig

by peterkarig

It sounds like somthing neurological to me. I've seen a number of animals and fish that make desperate movements before dying.

rummy96

by rummy96

I had similiar deaths of 2 foxfaces in an aquarium a year apart ( fish from different sources too) and in one of my books I found that they are prone to a disease caused by an internal fungus infection and symtoms are not seen until the disease is well advanced. the fish swim like they are crazy with neuro problems, mine swam backwards, upside down, sometimes in circles. with in 24 hours both were dead. book said the internal fungus treatment extremely hard to resolve and best to isolate from other fish who could get the fungus from eating the dead fish if left in aquarium.

jweb

by jweb

Wow thanks for that info, never heard of that. It was just so shocking because he was fine and then he would suddenly jet to one side of the aquarium or try to jump out and hit the top and knock himself out.

9 posts