Sump question

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

vwfan79

Sump question

by vwfan79

I posted this in freshwater, cause thats what I have, but got no replies. So I thought I would repost it here, seeing as saltwater folks seem to be more knowledgeable about sumps.

I have a homemade sump on my 90 gal tank and have a couple of quick questions. First of all let me say that the system has been running for about 6 months and is working good.

First Question: There is a good amount of sediment that collects in the bottom of the sump (better than in the display tank) just curious if this is normal or do I need more filter floss in place? along the same token should I put some sort of substrate in the bottom?

Second Question: I've always been told that you don't want your bio-media completely submerged, that they need air to allow the bacterias to colonize. Wondering if this is true or not?

Here is a pic of the sump, not running obviously, filter floss usually sits on top of the bio-media. Thinking of redesigning is the reason for the questions.
Brief description: I have an overflow box, water comes down flows through the floss and bio-balls, flows to the right over the pieces of plexi-glass into the pump area and is pumped back into the tank.
21a19-P3020196.JPG

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Thats a pretty sick diy wet dry! I like it. Heres the facts. Bioballs catch debris......you should be prefiltering before the bioballs or your going to be hating life with nitrates and phosphates. Being its freshwater and you dont use rock to filter your water....the bioballs are great. As long as you prefilter your bioballs....that setup looks awesome! Sediment shouldnt be getting in there......because if it is....its getting in your bioballs...which is bad like I stated above. But its no big deal to just suck it out. As far as the biomedia being completly submerged or not.......theres two types of bacteria....aerobic and anerobic. Your going to want a little of both......they both play different roles. I would submerge the bottom inch of bioballs and leave the rest like they are. :) So if you could drop the bioballs maybe an inch....you would be doing yourself a favor. :)

vwfan79

by vwfan79

Well the water level when running covers about the bottom inch to inch an half of bioballs. Now as far as the prefiltering goes any suggestion on the best way to do that. Like I mentioned I have a couple layers of filter floss on top of the bioballs, do I need to do something different. As far as nitrate and phosphate levels there at good levels I check all levels weekly.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

As long as you have something to keep deitritus out of your bioballs...your good. Usually a tray sits on top of the bioballs....You could probably make one with some plexi glass and a little weldon. the tray just makes sure the water goes through the floss and not around it. :) solid setup I like it. It would work for a saltwater fish only system. :)

vwfan79

by vwfan79

Thanks for all the advice. Glad to hear that someone else likes the design and that I did it right!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

you vould use a filter sock too..................put your carbon in it, ammo chips if you use em in fresh water any other solid media too. just tie it off on the line comeing from the overflow and let it lay on top of the bio balls
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_searchIte ... 5QodLTRAKg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/filt ... ng.jpg?o=6

Boss

vwfan79

by vwfan79

Those filter socks are perfect, thats exactly what I need to get, thanks alot for that link. The second one on photobucket, that setup is insane, harvesting rainwater and all, craziness. Thanks again.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

vdub. :) Filter socks are the stuff! Just make sure you keep them clean and they will do more for your tank then any thing. Pulling out big stuff.....and all the small stuff too. :) Good thinking boss!

Sump question

8 posts