Sand bed issues

30 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Im not a big fan of hermits really. They always fight a lot in my tank......and just end up killing eachother. I guess if I had more shells in the tank they wouldnt have to fight for a bigger shell.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

lol i bought my blue leg hermits and they were about 1/8 inch and now theyre as big as my thumb..... every once i na while ill see my scarlet hermits.... turbos are slowly dying off, i think its just old age for them.... i like hermits though, theyre fun to watch, despite how they cost like 3 bucks a piece.... i seriously have a problem with those little starfish though, i had ONE when i first got my tank set up, that i could see at least... and now today i counted 40+ just on the front glass wall of my tank.... not counting the other walls, on the sand or on the rocks.... harlequin shrimp??
Boss hows that algae attack commin along?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

all quiet on the northern front, the urchin is chillin on the underside of a rock structure, im sure he'll need a couple days before he wanders out, the nassarious snails disapeared into the sand in a matter of minutes, the margarita sanils are doing their thing and the scarlets are exploreing, crabs are opertunity feeders, so they have to see whats the easiest to eat before really jumpin into buisiness....but all in all, so far so good, all being new it'll probly be a few days before any real action happens

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Harlequin shrimp is the coolest shrimp you can buy......and it will devour your stars. :) I want one........but then I would have to feed it. and they only eat starfish. nothing else.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

lol well how many star fish can that thing eat? because my lil ball of macro is a breeding ground for them.... i mean surely it cant wipe out this population in less than half a year or so... and say it does eat all of them, where do i get more little star fish haha

fihsboy

by fihsboy

it will eay ANY starfish. throw a linkia in there........it will turn it upside down so it cant get away......and eat it. It would eat a linkia slow enough that it MAY be able to regenerate a limb after it got eaten.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

well... i got a quote on ordering a harlequin shrimp at my lfs... about 45 bucks for one but the lfs owner said even with my hundreds of starfish, he would wipe them out pretty quick and id have to buy starfish to feed him... so kinda iffy about that... but i did end up buying some sort of plant, looks like a fern, im not too much of a botanist yet and i bought a pom pom crab... which might be my new favorite lol hes pretty tight

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Snow check this link out for a good DIY easy to make 2 PART blend, its great, keeps your PH an Mg stable, and controls your Ca and Kh to the desired levels with the right dose perfectly

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#3

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

awsome info Puffed, thanks, i did buy a 2 part {C-balance} from two lil fishies, but when it's gone ill be in the big tank and momma will be wondering what the hell im cooking in the kitchen when i make a batch of the DIY 2 part........................i dont have the peladow brand stuff here , but being the "snowboss" i do have prolly 5 pallets {50 -5 gallon pales each} of calcium chloride, i have a customer that will not allow us to put straight salt on his drive and side walks so he pays extra for the calcium chloride flake.......................i could make enough 2 part for sea world, lol

question : ive re organised my tank room in the basement and have auto shut offs on the RO/DI's now, so im mixing water all the time, can i dose the 2 part in my mix water or should i dose directly in the tank? i don't have corals right now and was wondering how important it is to dose daily in the display - - - when the big tank is up ill be able to dose right in the tank room as thats were the filtration is - - -correct? instead of doseing right in the display as well

thanks again man, Boss

Sand bed issues

30 posts • Page 3 of 3