sea cucumber

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

sea cucumber

by blueshoes2208

ok so ive gone on this whole spree kinda thing, i kinda want a tiger tail cucumber... so far pros and cons are sensitive to high nitrates, toxic insides, cleans up detritus, 3 inches of animal per 20 gallons or so, anything im missing..... likes or dislikes?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

lol sounds like you got it.............man i wouldnt have one though for the simple fact of if it dies it could take the tank with it ...just my opinion though i dont trust myself enough ....lol

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I have a flourescent yellow one. Hes awesome, cleans my sand and everything. You have to realize.......they eat the bacteria in the sand.....not the detritus. I know it says they do.....but they dont. They do poop out clean sand though. They will stir your sand enough to keep it aerated and shifting. My lfs has 4 in his 125. The tank hit 94 degrees.......it crashed.....and the tiger tails didnt die. You just have to have a stable system. I killed my first one......but I got most of it out before it poluted my system. 50% water change and my tank was fine. (with some carbon too of course) Good clean up crew member.......but not totally reef safe.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

humm.... i think ill just talk to my lfs abotu it then, i mean i was daring enough to get a nem at 4 months after setup and almost killed it but its alive today lol.......... i just noticed that my sand, since i gave away my sand sifting start, has diatom all over it in which before didnt have any...

fihsboy

by fihsboy

sand sifting stars eat all the little bugs that stir up your sand. so your sand is lacking those little bugs and worms. you could grab a little sand from a friend? You want some good seasoned sand to re activate all your critters.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

haha well ironically i jsut bout 6 lbs of sand from a display tank on ebay about 3 days ago haha, claims its full of copepods , either way i want more sand lol paid like 9 bucks for it all, 11 bucks for shipping , not too bad IMO

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Live sand you buy in the store sucks. theres no other way to put it. That should work nicely for you. :)

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

yeah lol i have a special interest in buying sand from other tanks, even though it can contain bad things, such as slime algae, i still think the bennefits of having a diverse population in the sand outweighs it, if you remember i bought about 4 cups of sand from a refugium that was set up for 3 years when i first set my tank up to help seed the sand. This time 6 lbs ought to help out a lil bit, my slime algae is practically gone by the way. Lol i still have the curiousity to buy about a lb from every person that has a reef tank on this site that posts hahaha

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Try some nassarious snails as well like 20-30 in a tank your size, they stir like mad and its funny as hell to see as pristine smooth sand bed and one lil tiny spec of food hit the water and they just come up out of the sand like snipers in gilly suits - -i have 10 in my 20long and could use 10 more they only get like 1/2 inchbut their cool, clean white in color and they'll clean the glass too

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I had almost 70 in my 29. You can have tons.......and never know they are there. Like boss said.......as soon as the food hits. BAM there everywhere!

sea cucumber

11 posts • Page 1 of 2