UV Sterilizer and bacteria

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

I have heard different stories on this. I want a puffer, but they are prone to ich. I seem to constantly get ich when I introduce new fish other than lions. I was told to run a UV sterilizer all of the time. I have also heard this will wipe out the good bacteria. Most of my biological filtration comes from a canister filter dedicated to biological filtration. If the bacteria resides in the filter it shouldn't be killed by a UV light right? I would assume only free-floating bacteria will die. I am gearing to get a UV light. Is this a good idea? I was thinking of getting a separate light as seen on this link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=13954

Or I figured I could get one built into a filter such as this one:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=19310

The extra filter would be great, but the light is only 5watts. The stand alone is 10 or 15 watts. What do you think?

gdeeber

by gdeeber

The UV light will kill the free floating bacteria but your live rock and sand will supply enough good bacteria to support the tank. The main reason for the UV light is to kill off any parasites or excess bacteria good or bad.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Tien:

I just noticed you have a fresh water tank, is this the tank you wanted advice on? If so, someone in the freshwater forum my be able to help you more than I could. That aside a UV light will help to eradicate algae and parasites which is a good thing in any tank weather it be salt or fresh.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

I haven't had my freshwater tank running for sometime. My bigger tank is salt and I need the UV light for it. I probably need to update my profile.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Slack arse.
UV is a 50/50 argument, but really unless you have a microscope hanging fromn your eye, how do we no?????? what it kills and what it dont

5 posts