Venturi aerator

18 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

Venturi aerator

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

Do you guys use the aerating feature on your PH's. I 've read despite most people thinking the bubbles from diffusers and airstones create O2, it's mainly surface agitation that increases dissolved O2 so the fish can utlize it . Just confirming, before i dip this other PH in my tank not to connect the venturi feature..Thanks guys

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

FR - - i started with my powerheads running with the venturi's - -but the air bubbles were driving me insane - -you ar correct about "breaking" the surface to O2 the water better - - so i think more than anything its a matter of choice - -if the bubbles aren't a problem and you like it, go for it. I have 2 HOT filters and a HOT skimmer - -so for me there's plenty of surface "breakage" so my PH's are just pumpin water . . . . . . snowboss

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

salt creep will drive you crazy and looks like crap. i would not use them.. i agree with the boss

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

First time posting here as i usually post in freshwater, but i have two powerheads running for my small tank and i use the aeration feature. I run two Aquaclear powerheads with the air feature, and although I have tried to run them without the air, it seems to work much better with the bubbles. The reason I think this is because bubbles with current can create a lot more surface agitation than just current by itself. With just the current, my fish would gasp for air every now and then, but with the bubbles they never do... and I also have two HOB filters cascading water into the tank, so plenty agitation there as well. I dunno, maybe bubbles increase surface area of the water or bring oxygen needed water from below to the surface, who knows. I'd love more than anything to turn my bubbles off, but I notice a big difference with the fish as well as the general odor of the tank when I don't run the bubbles. Who knows.

Also, I also have reversed my outlfow deflectors to point upwards to the surface (using a rubberband, as these were meant to attach downwards only). They work great like this, and really i dont see bubbles anywhere but near the top of the water column. I can adjust the air to come out at half force, and this reduces any noise to a minimum. My two cents, hope it helps with your decision making.
Last edited by spongebob4460 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

thanks for confirming my thoughts....salt creep is a biotch but im gonna stick with the one little airstone i have for bubbles and the 2 PH's will crank water only....

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

also i have 2 canisters, and the outputs shake the surface also ,so i should be set with the 02 situation.....also i notice people use the sponge on the intake of the ph...you would probaby have to change that often or the nitrates could become a problem. but then again the debri will fall to the bottom neway......

snowboss

by snowboss

a thought for spongebob....your post was very correct - - but saltwater is "thicker" if you will then fresh [thats the snowboss's scientific name for it,lol] so the bubbles you are introducing into your tank would stay in a saltwater tank 2-3 times longer, I had one PH with the air choked right down and my live rock looked like it was wrapped in bubblewrap - -unfortunately it's the nature of the beast - -so we have to be a little more "delicate" in introducing O2 into the tanks than freshies do ....good post , snowboss

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

I knew there was a reason i stick to the freshwater side, lol.... ure right, freshwater advice doesn't translate to saltwater even with similar equipment. my bad

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

oh no no no no man - - your advice is solid - -the only thing to keep in mind is the tolerances of saltwater are tighter or not as forgiving is all - -don't stop putting your two cents in bud we all need to learn from each other - - as a matter of fact i have a ten gallon tank i'd like to do something really cool for my office - -i think because of long weekends and at times i can go 2-3 days without going in there i want to do something in fresh water - -any suggestions? [i do have someone who can feed daily if needed]

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

have u considered a planted tank?

Venturi aerator

18 posts • Page 1 of 2