As is says, would it be toxic? It is a motorcycle helmet (HJC brand) that was stock painted yellow with a two stage urethane paint (same used to paint cars). I have stripped it down to the shell so that nothing will deteriorate and effect the fish.
But does anyone really know if the paint will be toxic to the fish overtime? I need real answers and not just recommendations of "I wouldn't do it". I spoke with a chemist at PPG and he said they aren't supposed to paint the underside of boats with that paint.
I don't know what they aren't supposed to use the paint but it could be because salt water would break it down and make it fade...
Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:24 am
Absolutely Not....I know that this sounds like a it would make a great decor for your fish, however, due to any metal that may be on the helment would eventually leach off toxins into your water affecting your Ph. I also see that you said that you stripped off everything from the helment, if you did this with any other chemicals other than a 3% bleach solution (which is the only thing that you should use to clean any decor in your tank) than no. It did sound like a good idea, but i would steer clear of this. Hope this answered your question.