Seeking advice...

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

PalmettoCoast

Seeking advice...

by PalmettoCoast

I have a 30 gal glass tank with eclipse hood and filtration. Established 2 months ago. I cant get the water clear. I did have a problem with what appeared to be black algea. Internet googling told me it was high nitrates/nitites and I did a 40% water change and removed everything and cleaned it. Still have cloudy water. I took a sample for testing to local pet shop, not a chain, here are the results- No3=180ppm, No2=1-2ppm, GH=med-hard, KH=okay, Ph=7.0, Nh-3/Nh+4=.25ppm They told me to introduce a product called Prime - detoxifies harmful chemicals. I added 5ml 24 hours ago. Still cloudy. Any ideas????

bassdr17

by bassdr17

Im having the same problem except for the cloudy water.. My tank currently has High Nitrates/ Nitites as well... I did the water change and added the chemicals to remove them, but with no success. I just recently came back from the local fish store and they recommended adding live bacteria to help break down the harmful toxcins.. Im giving it till the end of the day to see if theres any improvement.

PalmettoCoast

by PalmettoCoast

let me know how it works...

volcom

by volcom

if its that bad..
just set up a hospitality tank for your fish for a while. clean out the whole tank..
and refill and cycle it..??

dizzcat

by dizzcat

The tanks will clear up as they age. New tanks almost always get cloudy. Its bachertial blooms. Goes away with time. Adding chemicals may make it worse and mess up the cycle.

bassdr17

by bassdr17

Ok, so I went to my local fish store to get my water tested and told me that I have to continue doing water changes. At least half the tank to eventually dilute the Nitrate/ Nitrites. But they said not to gravel vac it as I was doing. The bacertia that forms at the bottom of the tank is actually benficial and that my tank is in the middle of a cycle. I have also stoped with the chemicals as they said that this way is better and natural. They also suggested to get a bio wheel filter instead because they actually help keep a hold of benfial bacteria that help break down the rest of the polutants in the tank. Overal I should continue with my water changes and I should be done in about two weeks. I will keep you guys posted with my progress.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

you were given good advice bassdr17. The only thing I don't necessarily agree with is the bio-wheel. Almost all filters now have areas on them meant for media made to specifically hold bacterial colonies such as the bio-wheel. The bio-wheel is a great starter filter though don't get me wrong. I'm just not happy with the overall performance of the penguin/emperor/marineland filters that utilize the bio-wheel. I killed several over a period of a few months.

PalmettoCoast

by PalmettoCoast

Thanks...I guess we're in a holding pattern. I did make the mistake of cleaning everything including the Bio wheel so i guess I put my tank back at day 1.

peterkarig

by peterkarig

My 2cents:
Grow that benneficial bacteria! Don't kill it! instead of getting rid of old filter media, rinse it in unchlorinated water(like the water from a water change) and reuse. The filter media(inserts, bio-wheels, etc) is where you need to maintain live bacteria for converting the waste into eventually nitrAtes( a relatively non-toxic product). As others have pointed out, cloudy water is part of getting the bacteria established, and chemicals may just create more problems. People often think they have to clean clean clean. Just don't clean out the benneficial bacteria. Some algae is healthy and normal. Also feed very sparingly till the water clears as this is sort of a danger zone/time where ammonia and nitr(i)te can spike and be poisenous.

peterkarig

by peterkarig

I agree with Tmericer. And just because the bio-wheel says "bio", that doesn't mean that other filter media doesen't work just as well biologically, if not better. I think they look kind of cool spinning and all, but they're more of a gimmick than a breakthrough in bio-filter technology.IMO!

Seeking advice...

17 posts • Page 1 of 2