opinions...

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

opinions...

by blueshoes2208

since im going to b moving here in about a yr or so and really taking my tank ( 70 gallons) down there really isnt an option, If anyone has any opinions, likes or dislikes about nano tanks id love to hear it. How much more difficult would yall say it is to maintain it on a scale of 1-10, 10 being hardest to keep up with a nano compared to my reef right now?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

with an auto top off...I would say its not much more difficult. I kept a 10 gallon..... But are you going to want to mess with it in college. :) Thats the real question.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

well A) im still majoring in some area related to marine biology, and B) ive had my tank the whole time ive been in college so far lol

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Well if you dont mind keeping it up.......I would maybe do a 12gallon JBJ they are pretty sick. You could probably switch over and still have money left over. Go to wally world and buy yourself a 5gallon trash can......an aqualifter pump.......floatvalve.......and a timer.....30-40 bucks you would be good to go. It would probably on top off once or twice a day....but you would be good until you had to do a water change. which is why I did it. Between water changes all I have to do is dose my two part. I know I sound like a broken record with the ATO.......but for the longest time I thought........yeah w/e it wont help that much. It really does! It makes life so freaking easy.

gldntrmite

by gldntrmite

Blue,

shot you a message on the subject if your interested...

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

alright man, ill jus b watchin my email.
ON ANOTHER TOPIC....

i literally have hundreds of little starfish in my tank now.... the little white ones that im sure everyone has.... at first they were a little cool but now theres so many of them theyre starting to make hte tank look bad.... theyre covering live rock, sand, glass, filter, everything!

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Harlequin shrimp. :) He will devour ANY and EVERY starfish in your tank.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

so im guessing theyre bad?? I mean when i first had my tank set up, there were maybe 10 in there.... now like no shit.... there are 10 in every square foot of glass..... no telling how many on the rocks

fihsboy

by fihsboy

They are probably Asternia stars. They can be bad if left unchecked. Usually they just eat algae......but if they become a nuisance.....I would buy the shrimp, because they can drownd out corals, and some even eat corals.

newbie916

by newbie916

My 29 gallon Aquapod is really easy. It only takes 15 minutes a week for a 5 gallon water change. Haven't needed a chiller or protein skimmer yet. I have a Sunpod 150 watt with 14k bulbs on it. Got the entire setup including rock, sand, and corals for $400 on craigslist.

opinions...

11 posts • Page 1 of 2