Live Plants

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Maxyboi

Live Plants

by Maxyboi

I have been keeping tropical fish for about 5 years now and i usually use fake plants. But i heard that real plants are good for the health of the tank.
However when i add a real plant the fish absolutley anyilate it. I have tried this with different fish and different plants.

What do you suggest i do ?

zambize

by zambize

What kind of fish do you have?

Z

Maxyboi

by Maxyboi

4 Gouramis, 5 corys, 1 platy and 1 plec.

zambize

by zambize

It may be the plecostomus. How big are your fish and how big is your tank. You may not have enough room in your tank.

Z

Maxyboi

by Maxyboi

No its not the pleco its mainly the gourami and the danios, the tank is 25.5 gallons the danios are still young and the gourami are about 2.5 inches so im sure there is plenty of room. Before i tried one plant, maybe if i plant 3 or 4 they wont keep picking at the same plant? Or do you think they would still eat it?

zambize

by zambize

Perhaps it is the type of plant you tried. I have gourami in my 55 gallon planted tank and I don't have a problem. They do nibble at the algae on the plants. Perhaps since they only had one plant to nibble at, the plant couldn't handle it. Did they really *eat* it?

Z

Maxyboi

by Maxyboi

No most of the fish just nibbled at it and all of the leaves were dettached from the plant which was left with a short stalk rotting at the bottom of the tank. Do you think mabye try more plants at once instead of just one ?

zambize

by zambize

I would try more plants, and maybe a different kind of plant that isn't so tasty. lol

Maxyboi

by Maxyboi

lol

simple69

by simple69

my mollies do the same thing if I get plants with small leaves they detach them all as if its a game. They never actually eat them. I am constantly fishing out leaves... argh!!! :)

Live Plants

11 posts • Page 1 of 2