dolla dolla ??

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

snowboss

dolla dolla ??

by snowboss

ok this might be a silly question but my daughter asked me if I would put a sand dollar in the tank - - - -after some thought and some looking on aquarium sights - - i don't seem to know what exactly a sand dollar is????? LOL i mean i know what those little petrified trinket things you get in beach front gift shops are....but... is it a creature of some sort, invert? and where do they come from? can they be tank inhabitants? can they just be tank decor? thoughts from the masses???????

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

know if i rember right and i might be rong but a sand doller is a freshwater invert that you can find in just about any pond or streem under rocks. nothing realy to cool to look at tho. i say if you want something cool for your tank and you dont have fish that will eat it git a horseshoe crab thay are cooler than hell (when you can see them) and if you git your hands on a larger on it is kinda creepy to see this odd lump in you sand bottem moveing.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i don't have enough room for a horse show - - but yeah they look cool

tangerine

by tangerine

dunno about FW sand dollars,but there are marine ones. i do have some in my tank. they supposedly help in cleaning the sand bed. having said that,mine seems to be not good at it :P.

oh,one more thing,after putting in yr tank,u will be hard pressed to get a sight of them as they burrow into the sand. only occasionally,u get a glimpse of one of them. that's when i realize they are still around and have not perished.
Last edited by tangerine on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

gumbii

by gumbii

i see a bunch of sand dallars in my beaches... but i was told that they aren't tropical and need very cold water...

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

where did you get them? where they pretty pricee for somehting you never see? lol what are they? invert?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

What about little clams instead? I've had fresh water ones and they're pretty cool as you can watch them filtering water through their vents. I had to build a little rock fence so they didn't get stuck between the glass and a rock as for some reason they do seem to get stuck in this way, but with a fence, or coralle, they're pretty cool. Sometimes they're hard to see when they get too far down in the sand, but they always have at least their vents sticking out. Sand dollars are cool too, but I agree that you probably wouldn't see them once they get buried.

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

lol see i told you i could be wrong. and i was :( but o well. thank guys for the corection i was going on a fant memory from middel school. lol so we are talking some time ago.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Salt clams are EXTREAMLY hard to care for and they get huge, but are beautiful ...not to mention $$$ cha - ching $$$ lol - - and the main reason for the question is that my daughter wanted a sand dollar like the ones you get as souvenir with the shalac sprayed all over it ....lol

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

flame scallop are cool we have em around here they pulse electric in there mouths and there cheap

dolla dolla ??

17 posts • Page 1 of 2