Going Saltwater

19 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jacuzzi7755

Going Saltwater

by jacuzzi7755

So I have kept and bred cichlids for years and and have wanted to start a a small salt water aquarium for some time now. I picked up a 12 gallon Eclipse and decided its time to start a nano. I have a Berlin 60 protein skimmer on the way and I am going out in the morning to get R/O water, and sea salt so I just want to know what do I do once the water is mixed and added. Should I get live sand and what kind of corals and fish can I keep with with the standard eclipse lighting? Also what kind of live rock is the best for my set up I want add a lot. Thanks for any help.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

as far as fish go you'll be limited a bit by the tank size, probably like to one clown {true percula or ocelaris} or maybe a couple of small damsels. websites like drs foster and smith and petsolutions will have minimum tank size requirements posted with the desriptions of each fish they sell....................and they're pretty good as far as quality goes too.

live sand is a plus and and live rosck is a must if your going to do corals as they need someplace to live on - as far as type goes it's really up to your taste, pinks, whites,black and natural sand are available out thereand rock types are about the same in diversity. you can by refugium rubble which is smaller chunks and make a nice aquascape pretty cheaply.

get your sand and rock and let the tank cycle really good before stock - - like 6-8 weeks, during which time you can practice water changes and testing and you'll have a nice solid tank down the road - -NANO tanks are awsome, you'll love it. they can be a bit more work than bigger tanks as their paramiters can change much faster than their larger volume conterparts because theres less water to deal with

seach on here for a guy named "dickheaders" on here he has a beautiful nano set up and knows how to do it right

good luck ...........

Boss

kelbri

by kelbri

I don't know what kind of lighting comes with your tank, but if you're keeping corals, you may have to upgrade it. Others know much more than me though.

newbie916

by newbie916

My first salt water tank was a 12 gallon Eclipse. It only has the PC lighting. I kept 25 lbs of live rock and 20 lbs of livesand. I had a clown fish, cleaner shrimp, and some hermits. It was actually really nice, but I got rid of it because it's very limited on the corals you could keep. You could have a nice low light setup. Anything that's not photosynthetic. I would look at carnation corals, colt corals, feather dusters, etc. You won't be able to keep anemones, clams, frogspawn, sps, or anything requiring high light. I kept that tank for six months before I bought a 100 gallon reef off of craigslist..haha Still have the eclipse, but it's in my backyard and the lighting system is over my fuge along with another light to feed my Macro algae.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

i cant believe u got a tank that small as your first tank, id shoot myself worrying about the levels lol. Id love to have a tiny tank like that though. They sell some nano tanks that have like 7 watts per gal lighting that comes iwth them, it would still be to hard to keep the harder corals specifically because of nitrate levels and such correct?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

newbie- how much you want for the eclipse tank? im looking for another nano tank for my wifes desk, does it have the flase back for filtration in it ? if its in the backyard is it damaged or scratched real bad?

seriously let me know bud

Boss

newbie916

by newbie916

Unfortunately, the sun got to the bottom of the tank. It didn't have any scratches on it, but it has cracks on the bottom from the sun. I knew I should have stored it in my shed. My wife moved it from our table in the shade to direct sunlight. I haven't tried to put water in it, but I wouldn't trust it anymore.

The funny thing is that my wife twisted my arm to buy a saltwater tank for our son for his 1st birthday a year and a half ago. I was totally against it because I heard they were difficult to keep and I didn't have time. However, you know how women always get their way.haha I actually never had any issues with it. It was setup for three months with 25lbs of live rock and 20lbs of LS before I added any animals. It was basic, I had a maroon clown, cleaner shrimp, 8 hermits. I did weekly 2 gallon water changes with Instant Ocean salt and it never even cycled with the nasty algaes. Always had perfect water. After doing research on corals, I was hooked. So I bought a 100 gallon on Craigslist with a few corals, 150lbs of live rock, sand, and some really nice tangs for $600. My wife hated the 100 gallon and after the T-5 lights went out and it was going to cost $500 to replace the lighting, we bought a new tank last December.

Now I have a 95 gallon wave with MH's and a 35 gallon fuge. I also bought a 24 gallon Aquapod 2 months ago for my father's day present:) The pod has 150 watt MH's and came with some very nice corals, anemones, and a mated pair of clowns for $425. The show piece is a 70 head candy cane acan colony. The guy bought it three years ago with just two heads and it just grew. As you could tell I'm addicted along with all of you guys. I've probably spent over $6k on my tanks in the last year and a half. It all started with that little 12 gallon. It's so bad now, that my wife put me on a budget a few days ago..lol I could only spend $200 a month on my tank..haha

Sorry Boss, I would just give you the tank, but I don't think it would even be worth the shipping.

Chris

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

not a problem bud, just didnt want to see a tank sittin empty, lol

i hear ya on the budget thing, i did have a conversation with the wife a couple days ago and she said when the house refi goes through i can have 1500-2000 to finally get my 120 up and running..............she's the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have to build the stand for the sumps in the basement and run the pipeing, the electrical and switching sytems but the main cost is going to be lighting and i haven't decided what way to go on that yet, so many choices, i feel like a kid in a candy store sometimes.............oh yeah and a bigger return pump

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

1,937 posts boss.... what a nerd....... lol

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

lol ive been here for a year and a half there noob......................lol

Going Saltwater

19 posts • Page 1 of 2