Dwarf Puffers and Gouramis

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

My girlfriend saw some dwarf puffers and now wants one. I have done a little internet research but have got mixed information. Dwarf Puffers and Dwarf Gouramis, compatiable tank mates?? My first instinct says probably not. A few articles have claimed that they mix well with Danios and Corydoras which I have. Also have read that they may tear up plants, that I dont want to deal with. I will not give up my Gourami, I am very fond of him, but if I can add the puffer with him, I wouldnt mind adjusting my other stock to make room. Any info would be great, thanks.

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

I also have Neon Tetras and African Dwarf frogs.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

I'm not an expert by any means but from what I've read and heard I would say no. Puffers are a brackish water fish, have a very strict diet, and can cause hell with most tank mates. That's just from what I've heard.

zambize

by zambize

I have had both. Puffers are indeed brackish water fish. But most importantly, they will eat anything they are kept with, I mean anything. There are different kinds of dwarf puffers though, perhaps you've been reading about the tiny puffers that reach only an inch or so in length. The regular dwarf puffers will literally take chunks out of any fish and eat it alive. There is no fish that can survive living with one.

Z

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

Thanks guys, thats what I figured. Appreciate the info.

Maxyboi

by Maxyboi

Dont go there, puffers will anylate your whole tank, they need at least 3 gallons per fish and will cause absolute hell.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

''puffers'' are brackish water fish. DWARF puffers are the only ones which are NOT. There is probably however a 5% chance your gourami(s) would be okay housed with one or more Dwarf puffers.
In my experience just as many aggressive fish...they will go for long-finned or slow moving fish, or even fish that aren't in good schooling numbers. Generally large size (such as an adult gourami) isn't really a deterrent even though the puffer will get at max usually 1" long. A long finned slow moving fish by itself is kind've fair game.

I can give you 100% assurance that the only care a puffer will take in the plants you have is the cover they provide. Never heard of anyone saying they do anything to plants before. Kinda ridiculous..

What maxyboi means to say is that they need relatively 3 gallons of water to claim as their territory, especially if being housed with more dwarf puffers, so never have more than 3 in a 10 gallon without plenty of cover.

I had kept 3 in a 16gallon community tank safely for over a year with 6 rummynose tetras, 3 peppered corydoras, 3 otocinculus and several amano shrimp. The only victims turned out to be the shrimp.

Unfortunately they all became weak and died from internal parasites (most likely from something I introduced) or I would still have them.

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

Thanks Tmercier, I didnt really think they would be compatable. Im really happy with my setup right now anyhow. Glad I got the info though.

8 posts