Owning/running a small public aquarium.

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I have this thought that one could create a public aquarium that was much less expensive than large public aquariums, didn't have 12 foot sharks or killer whales, but did have live coral tanks and beautiful planted tanks which most large public aquariums don't have for the most part. This aquarium would have my fantasy of having all kinds of biotopes and restricted species that public aquariums can get permits for but is pretty impossible to have in a home, it would attract school groups for field trips, and wouldn't cost $15 or more per person which is minimum for many large public aquariums. I think maybe $5 would be reasonable. Most public aquariums don't have live coral and much in the way of planted tanks, and I think that one could create public interest without having to have huge sharks and outrageous prices. There could be tanks for smaller sharks and rays about the size of a van, there could be 3-4 foot Florida gars in fresh water tanks of similar size, smaller tanks with jellyfish and other see-through ocean creatures, and even a tidal zone of tidal pools with anemones crabs, sea weed etc that was sun-lit. There would be live reef tanks and beautiful planted tanks and I would have it connected to an aquarium store where people could create their own aquariums after getting "hooked" on under water creatures. I would have a small theater where people could see documentaries on underwater life and how to care for an aquarium. I would even give discounts for people who were willing to watch an instructional video on care of an aquarium and take an easy quiz when they buy a new system. There's a strange lack of live plants and live coral in most public aquariums, and then on the other hand there's incredible coral and planted tanks in many aquarium stores that only aquarium-people see for the most part. Why not create a small wonder-world that people could go to for a few bucks, that wasn't a long drive to get to, which had better looking tanks than most big public aquariums? It would enhance the attached store's sales, but at the same time educate people on aquarium care.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

can i get a job, you will need pimp to help grow corals

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

For sure! Right now I'm having some major financial issues so it'll probably be a couple years before I can present a business plan to some lenders and get it started. I just think there's a niche that could be taken advantage of, and with all the talk of global warming and the environment getting to kids these days, I think it could be done. I would put it where there was no competing aquariums, lots of kids, and make it accessible to folks who want to add something new to their walk through the town or evening plans. Why not add a coffee shop too? Who knows?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

a book i read by anthony calfo, he has a propagation farm in pa, its a greenhouse he built for around 20k.and i think that was with his tanks he made from glass and a 18 wheeler of aragonite

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

man im ready to bring the Fam on a vacation to this place - - - great idea

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i think that plan there, money will not be a issue after the inital cost.. i hope to see this some day..or work there...lol

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I looked at Anthony's propagation farm and it looks like a pot farm! Just throw hydroponic pot plants in and there you go. It's pretty cool, but isn't for public veiwing, and it doesn't have aquariums, just big plasic tanks.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i called him and tried to go there he would not go for it.he also had the popo there because they thought he was a grower...lol

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

That's hilarious! I've wondered if people think I'm growing pot considering that some of my aquarium lights are blue and it looks really strange from a distance from my apartment.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

you will know when there is a strange knock at the door and a bunch of cops on the other side..

15 posts • Page 1 of 2