Pissed....

15 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jweb

by jweb

The bad thing is that corals need higher salinity, or rather thrive in higher salinity. Finding the perfect salinity for your corals to thrive and fish to live is the key. Most serious reefers use 1.026. This gives your water higher minerals provided by the salt mix you use, while still being liveable for fish. The person I bought my live rock from had it in a live rock only tank and the salinity was 1.031. There was more coralline algae in that tank than I've ever seen in my life! For fish only tanks 1.022-23 is probably the best (I am assuming, I haven't read up on perfect parameters for fish only setups).

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

I have a small tank with some pvc pipe in it for hiding thats it. The more you have the harder it is to clean.
I have it in a room that gets little use. That keeps the stress down. I medicate with aquasonic tri sulfur tablets, as the dosage says on the bottle. I also dose raw crushed garlic daily, and feed a nutrious diet of mix seafoods and nori sheets from the shopping centre.

This is done for at least two weeks from when the last spot is gone.
I also suck the debris out with a hose daily. and change nearly all the water daily to keep Ammonia Nitrite and nitrate at 0 the better the water the less stress

I also get the new water up to temp as the tank water and also make sure the ph is the same., You can do this by adding small amounts of bi carb soda to raise the ph.

Also keep the salinity lower than usual. Approx 1.018 to 1.020 hyper salinity. People say you can go lower but not me.
Tri sulfate tablets can be used in reef systems without no coral or invert deaths, I HAVE DONE IT
But I would only medicate the whole tank if several fish get it or you cant catch the problem fish from the main tank.

Hope you fix it. one of my goals is to terminate ich from the world...LOL

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Jweb I have my SG at 1.028 29 30 depending on evaporation, and my corals and fish seem to love it

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

yeah i pretty much killed my nem that way

jweb

by jweb

that's pretty high sG. I believe you meant hypo-salinity rather than hyper-salinity, when you were referring to low salinity levels.

Pissed....

15 posts • Page 2 of 2