What is going on????

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

What is going on????

by dizzcat

Sooo...... Last Weds, one Guppy gave birth. Found 3 fry hiding in a chunk of Hornwort I keep at the top of my tank. Noticed 4 more of Thursday and the other Guppy skinny! So, Weds and Thursday were Guppy birth days. Noticed my African Mbuna going nuts Friday afternoon, and sure enough, I had an Acei spawn. Saturday morning before I turned the tank lights on I discovered my group of Zebra Danios rolling around in a chunk of Java Moss spawning! This is where they like to spawn. Saturday evening my Bolivian Rams then spawned! Sunday my Red Zebras spawned so have another holding mom. Monday one of my Greshakei females released her fry and today the other is releasing hers! I have a Yellow Lab due to release by the end of this week. Is all this nuts or what??

Tally is:
Weds & Thursday: Guppy fry
Friday: Acei spawn
Saturday: Zebra Danio and Bolivian Ram spawns
Sunday: Red Zebra spawn
Monday: Greshakei fry released
Tuesday: More Greshakei fry released.
Whats tomorrow?

Both my small fry grow-out tanks are full so don't have room to save any fry this time. There are about 6 Guppy fry making it in the main tank. All the Danio eggs got ate right away and the Rams eggs got ate by the end of the day. Just too many fish in there for them to keep all away and they ended up eating the eggs. Because I don't have room I didn't put the tank divider in to save the eggs. And I can see little Greshakei fry peeking out from under rocks today.

Whew!!! The crazy thing is, I am behind on my water changes and its been close to 2 weeks since I did one! It is usually after I do a big 40% water change that all this goes on. Must be all the thunder storms we are having hahahaha.

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

Jeez Dizz! You must have some serious MOJO in that place! HA HA...

I hope I will be able to get my angels to spawn 5% of the time you get all your species too!

Congrats on the Population BOOM!

JB

dizzcat

by dizzcat

How's the 55 coming along?

JazzyD_KingRoy

by JazzyD_KingRoy

wow! I wish we lived closer. i would love to take a few off your hands.
Nice...

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Stop feeding them oysters. =P

(thats a natural aphrodisiac)

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Well, Weds one of my Red Zebra released her fry (both my females were holding) and yesterday the Acei spawned LOL. My Yellow Lab is on day 20 of holding, but she tends to hold about 25-30 days when in the main tank. So, I expect I will see Lab fry soon too.

I basically got told from the two lfs I use that they can't take anymore fry from me for awhile. So, I will be just letting the Africans spit in the main tank. One store still wants all my Bolivian Ram fry when they get bigger tho. I have been thinking about taking my 20 gallon grow out and turning it into a small planted tank with maybe a pair of Kribs. That is if a 20 is big enough for them. All these fry are neat, but its all starting to get old. The only fry I still adore is the Ram fry. As long as that guy wants them I will raise them. I never grow tired of watching the parents care for them and watching them grow and get their colors :-)

Click on reply to see my Ram babies as of yesterday. They are between 1/2 and 1 inch now. They have the black dorsal and eye stripe and are getting the red in the fins. They are 9 weeks old now.
25792-100_3034.JPG
2b8eb-100_3036.JPG
f34e5-100_3039.JPG

What is going on????

6 posts