still fighting algae ......................

25 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

ok your turbos dieing is no big deal. turbos are awsome alge eaters but are struped sencitiv to heat spikes and die i put about 3 new ones in every month or to from heat jumps in my house. copper isent your problum ether if that was the case every invert coral and rock would have died. do you dose strotum and do you dose iodine. to much iodine alge with grow retarded. keep your mag... at about 1500ppm that will kill off the toxic alge that nothing eats. as for the no3 that adds to alge as well but with lots of skimming will git rid of that. keep picking it out and it will start to slow the groth you will never git rid of it completly but you can control it. im finaly gitng my problum undr control after a year. and im talking 3 to 4 pounds of alge every few weeks being removed. lol that is what i have been dealing with. just keep pulling it out of your tank and git one of the cheep plastic brissel brushes. you should be abel to control it after a few weeks and git some small hermits in there thay help alot as well.

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

lol p.s. ask pimp about my alge if you dont beleve me lol he has seen it at its fun times lol.

jweb

by jweb

This is what I do to combat algae. I run chaeto and caulerpa in my sump along with nitrate and phosphate absorbing balls in a sack. I only use RO water and now I have NO algae problems other than hair algae on one rock which is staying in the one spot so I leave it as a snack for my snails, hermits, shrimp, and the newest edition my one spot foxface! I have high lighting in my sump and it occasionally gets some algae growth, but I would rather have it in the sump than in the display. Not sure if you have a sump, but anyways you could even get a HOB filter and put some chaeto or caulerpa rolled into some mesh in there. Just a thought.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Lion -i dont dose strodium or iodine, i know this is stupid but i dont have a mag test and dose it 3 times a week, hope im not making the tank go nuclear, lol

fishboy - im looking inot a phosban reactor

as for now, im doing weekly water changes 25% and scrubbing when ever i see it with a bristle brush

Jweb - i have a sump of sorts...........its a tom aquatics wet/dry system, so theres really nowhere to put anything like chaeto or mangroves or an algae scrubber, [which im not sold on yet anyway, seems a little "fad-ish" to me right now] - i did take all the media out and i run tray 1 with filter floss, tray 2 with a carbon bag and the bottom tray [basket] with a rock rubble in it

another big problem i know i have is my prism skimmer is dieing and basically worthless - so thats inline to be replaced by some sort of HOB skimmer too

thanks for everyones input - -i hate haveing problems but its nice to get advise sometimes rather than always giving it - i dont feel like a "know-it-all" any more, lol

Boss

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

boss id adyest into a mag test kit if you over dose mag it will drop the hardness in your tank and kill eveything. and i dont think that is in your agenda lol

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

NOT MUCH OF A SUGGESTION BOSS BUT IF YOU HAVE NOT FIXED THE ALGAE PROBLEM, I WOULD RECOMMEND NOT USING THE ROCK IN YOUR NEW TANK

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

yeah puff...............already planned on NOT useing the rock or anything for that matter in the new tank, am planning on putting this tank in the bedroom and just keeping it as is with my clowns, i need to get a new HOB skimmer and now a phosban reactor for it and see if i can keep it stable

will also invest in a mag test kit as well

thanks people

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ha i thought puff said to USE your rock in your new tank.... i was like huh? I think u just need to throw away or sell your rock period haha

Tien6079

by Tien6079

This is definitely an extreme measure, but copper works VERY well. I had a bunch of algae on my rock wall that wouldn't scrub off. I got ich in my tank, used copper and the algae was completely gone in 2 days. Like I said and as you know, this is extreme and not good for the fish, but it will kill the algae.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Yeah.........but imo........that rock will never be good again for a reef. It will ALWAYS have traces of copper in it.

still fighting algae ......................

25 posts • Page 2 of 3