What kind of protein skimmer for a 24gallon reef?

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

by newbie916

I bought a 24 gallon Aquapod on craigslist a month and a half ago. It came with 30lbs of live rock, carpet anemone, mated pair of clowns, and some killer corals. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys would recommend me getting a protein skimmer. I've been doing weekly 5 gallon water changes and everything is thriving.I only have two fish a clown and a stawberry dottyback. I have a cleaning crew. I haven't even tested my water because everything looks so good. By the way, I gave my green carpet anemone and the mated pair of clowns to my father inlaw for fathers day. Do you guys recommend a protein skimmer and what's a good kind.

Thanks,
Chris

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Theres not really a decent one made for that.......you could use a fission....but they sock royaly and they are poorly built. Id stay on water changes and you would be fine.

newbie916

by newbie916

That's what I figured. The guy who had it before me had one and junked it. He had it running for three years and his corals look awesome. I'll just change with water weekly.

Thanks

fishchum

by fishchum

If you do decided to get a skimmer I hear that the Sapphire Nanoskimmer is the best for nano tanks. I don't use a skimmer on my Bio-Cube 14 but if I did get one that would be it.

gumbii

by gumbii

i recomend an octopus...
http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-bh ... -1011.html

aquaC remora...
http://www.aquacave.com/searchresult.as ... goryID=351

or there's also the bak pak ones... but i don't like they...

for the money a octopus rocks... needle wheel and everything...

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Agreed with octopus skimmers. They are amazing.....BUT, where on earth would he put it......

fishchum

by fishchum

The Sapphire Nanoskimmer fits in the back filter compartment with stock lid

newbie916

by newbie916

There's not much room in the tank and no room for a fuge. I've heard good things about the Sapphire. I'll check them out. Thanks guys. Do you think I should add some more live rock. I believe I have about 30 lbs or so in the tank right now.

newbie916

by newbie916

There's not much room in the tank and no room for a fuge. I've heard good things about the Sapphire. I'll check them out. Thanks guys. Do you think I should add some more live rock. I believe I have about 30 lbs or so in the tank right now.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i have a prizm skimmer on my 20long - -i know, a lot of people don't like em but this this has been dropped, cracked, busted and glued and im the second owner so it's probably 4-5 yrs old by now and it just keeps workin - -i dont know if theres room for it in a biocube though its kinda wide

http://www.marineandreef.com/Red_Sea_Pr ... 5QodoX-lLg

good to see the GUMBII master in the house !!!!!!

Boss

10 posts