Fish introduction..PLEASE anyone

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Y4ND3L

by Y4ND3L

I have quite a few questions to ask (1)st well, you see the problem is I have this 46" inch, wide aquarium which first for the record can anyone tell me how many gallons would that be? (2)nd. I have in that aquarium I have 1 albino OSCAR roughly about 5 or 6 inches and I just recently adedd 2 african cichlid one that I believe is a JOHANNI CICHLID and this other one i can't tell what it is, its yellow and black, Now your probably asking well were are the pictures?, well when i put them in there they have not fought with the oscar they really get along and dont care about eachother so, i would put a picture but there so shy to come out of there hiding spot. Everytime i get near them their like traumatyzed and quickly fly away and blurr out and hide, can anyone tell me PLEASE what can i do to introduce them that i mean no harm??? I just got the fish like a week ago please anyone THANK YOU!!!

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

Do you spend a lot of time observing the tank? The more time you spend in front of the tank calmly watching, the better. Also I know you can find charts online to figure your tank size by the measurements. Google something to that nature and see what you can find.

Y4ND3L

by Y4ND3L

Actually I have been doing that staring only like one of them looks at me and he kinda looks like hes getting trust in me but then he sees the other one and goes away too. But ill try that. OK ill try that becuz i just got the aquarium from my cuzzin but didn't really take note of the size. THANK YOU so much!! TigerTaylor

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

well first off 46" you most likley have a 55 gallon but i need the rest of the demensions like height and width and length. and as far as the oscar goes, they get massive. and if you only have a 55 gal tank that should be the only fish that you have in that tank..... and honsetly he should have a bigger tank than 55gal.
and africians and oscars do not mix at all you should take back either the oscar or the african's the africians probally wont come out of there hiding spot because they are scared to death that they will get eaten or something and africans thrive in a higer PH and oscars in a lower.

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

^^^^^^I was also gonna say that someone that knows more about your fish would be along shortly, and voila! Good luck

Y4ND3L

by Y4ND3L

Well ok the total with is 46 and since its divided inside one part is about 21 inches. Yeah ill hav to consider that about the fish because the fish do get along i mean they dont fight at all only one of my africans with the other instead. But yeah thank you for your honesty a1k8t3 .

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Just like the others said. Oscars and Africans do not mix. Choose one or the other. If it's only a 55 then your best bet is to stick with the Africans. If the Africans are indeed Johannis, they are very aggresive Africans. So, if you plan on keeping the Johannis, I would look at other "aggresive" types of Africans maybe Kenyi's (I don't know the offical names) but, I know those types can hold their own in a tank with Johanni's. I would suggest doing a little bit more research cichlid-forum is an excellent website for all types of cichlids. Check it out!

Here's info on the Johannii's
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... php?id=760

the Kenyi
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... php?id=798

Here's a "cookie cutter" for a typical 55 gallon tank. This ill give you a decent idea of what you can/cannot mix in a 55. Hope this helps!
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c ... er_55g.php

Y4ND3L

by Y4ND3L

Thank..yeah it helped it turns out they werent johannis lol
but yeah and i have these african cichlids with my oscar and they get along very well actually. THANK YOU.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

they might get along for now but they won't in the long run. Oscars are south american and africans are........africans, they require differnt ph levels. It's really not a good idea to mix them. Keep on researching!

9 posts