first tank?

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

GongShow

first tank?

by GongShow

Hi I'm a 18 year old student I'm looking to get back into the hobby since a long absence with a new reef tank. I have yet to purchase a tank or any of the equipment necessary for a reef. I have two spaces in mind for a tank one being a built in shelve measuring 48 by 24 and height is not an option but seeing as it's built into the wall this would eliminate a sump as a option for filtration and such. And a area besides this shelve being about 40 inches in length and 26 inches in depth, where i could put a stand making it much easier to house a sump. Being a student cost is a huge concern to me and i was wondering what size tank i should go with that will still be able to house a wide verity of fish and inverts yet remain fairly cheap to start out with and not to difficult. It would also be of great help if you could also advise me in what equipment i should be purchasing along with the tank and recommend any good, cheap hardy fish & coral species to start the tank of with.
Thanks for your help

fishchum

by fishchum

30-50 gallon is a safe bet. Not too much cash but good fish options. Sumps are a plus and having the tank drilled with an overflow. Do lots of reading and look at tank threads on forums, they are interesting and informative.

GongShow

by GongShow

yeah i have been doing plenty of reading. I also came across the red sea max 130 and the 130D along with the solana all in one aquariums and was wondering if these are reliable starter options seeing as they contain everything that is needed

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Craigslist...You can get insane deals there right now with the economy the way it is. People have to decide fish or food for the family....and thats an obvious choice. So check craigslist. Im 20 and so is blueshoes....both in college.....and we understand your pain. Money is TIGHT. so squeeze those pennys and buy used. :) I would probably do a 36" tank. With a 20 long as a sump. then your in business. Use a trash can for an Auto top off resevoir and your in business for sure!

gumbii

by gumbii

my family is starving right now... lol...

i just setup a huge frag system and a predator tank... woot...

but yes craigslist is FTW... unless you want to go with custom tanks that's the way to go...

hXcReefer

by hXcReefer

i got a 20 gallon for free yesterday!
in very good condition too
w/ the stand, filter, heater, rocks.
im halfway to a set up :)

fihsboy

by fihsboy

free is a good price. Now.....what are you going to put in it....fish? Reef? Live rock? Bare bottom or sand bottom? We can help from there. :)

GongShow

by GongShow

yeah i was on craigslist but Edmonton Alberta Canada doesn't really have to many used aquariums floating around my dad is will to help me out on a red sea max though because he feels its a nice enough aquarium that he to can enjoy it so i was wondering if anybody knew anything about what kinda quality they are

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Yeah get the 65 gallon. :) And you will be happy as hell. Its already got T5's on it. And you can buy a dimmer for them to slowly go from day to night. sick setup!

kelbri

by kelbri

I feel your pain Gong. I'm in Regina, and there is NOTHING on craigslist, usedregina or kijiji (worth buying anyways). Plus, compared to the stuff I've seen in the states, the prices aren't as low as stuff you can find down there.

first tank?

14 posts • Page 1 of 2