oceanic to instant ocean then back

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

i have been using oceanic salt in my tank since i have had it. i went to my lfs and they didnt have any more so i bought instant ocean salt. once i did my water change all my zoos decided they didnt want to come out and show off their vibrant colors. after a few days i went back to my lfs and bought oceanic salt and did another water change, now my zoos are coming back out slowly but surely. i use DI water, all my parameters were good and i found nothing out of the ordinary. the only diff step i took was the diff salt.
could this be a poss? and is it not a good idea to change salt types? does/or anyone have this prob?

gldntrmite

by gldntrmite

Only use Instant Ocean in mine...

codyren9730

by codyren9730

i also only use instant ocean in mine and all my zoos are shining bright

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i used instant ocean for about a year and found it to be "ok" but then switch to oceanic and it seems to be A LOT better quality of salt, mainly because IO has phosphates in it .....................dry prep foods also, so if your haveing issues there quit that crap and use fresh or frozen rinsed foods

Boss

newbie916

by newbie916

I used Instant Ocean in the beginning to cycle my tank, but switched to Red Sea and Reef Crystals. I noticed a huge difference with my corals because of the added Calcium and Trace Elements

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ive used instant ocean for about a year, everything seems okay in my tank, im about to put in red sea coral pro so we will see how that goes and ill give you guys a review

fihsboy

by fihsboy

If I could afford it......I would use reef crystals. I used it twice....wow. HUGE difference in everything!

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok i lied. scratch the instant ocean.......idk what i was thinkin........ i use kent......... which i havent heard of many people using so my results might be pretty good in the switch, already my umm... dang i cant think of hte name...... its an sps, green, looks like a hairy mushroom kinda thing.......anyways its opened up alot....... and its only been about 2 hours.......

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

used one bag of kent, the salt quality was fine and had no problems in the tank itself..............that being said, it didn't store for nothin, clumpy, chunks etc etc.............i the bucket of oceanic i have now has a rubber O-ring seal in the lid and this stuff disolves in minutes rather than hours - its the 200 gallon mix bucket i don't know about smaller mix quanities though

newbie916

by newbie916

The higher end salts are nice because I don't have to add as many trace elements. Even though I still dose daily in small quantities and do weekly 20% water changes on my 24 gallon and bi-monthly water changes on my 95 gallon. ,I noticed a huge difference, since I started doing more frequent water changes with higher end salts. I no longer have anymore green hair algae and the tank always looks crystal clear. I could also see the difference in my zoanthids, when I compare them to the frags I gave my father inlaw. He uses a different reef salt, but he also uses lower watt lighting. Anyways, I could vouch for Red Sea and Reef Crystals.

12 posts • Page 1 of 2