Can some lights harm fish's eyes?

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Does the blue flouescent in a white and blue combination high output light harm a fresh water planted tank in terms of algae growth, and does it possibly harm the eyes of some fish? The lights I bought were probably intended for a reef set up and I didn't know at the time I bought them that I should have bought specifically lights for fresh water plants without the blue. They are not true actinic blue anyway, and I now figure that they are sold as a cheap way to sell actinic blue for people that don't know the difference. The big issue I'm having, as I wait to change to fresh water lights, is that three of my fish have developed strange cateract like problems with the lenses of their eyes. I also have a 70 watt halide light intended for outdoor flood light use (a large bulb about 3 inches in diamiter) to add extra light. Could this be causing the eye problems? The fish in question do hang out under this light. The water chemistry is perfect by the way. I tried adding sea salt to the water because these fish can live in slightly brackish water and it just halted the ascendance of new lilly pads on my water lilly plant. I replaced 30% of the water and thus diluted the salt which I have been told helps fish, in small concentrations, to ward off bacterial infections in fresh water aquariums. I'm thinking it's something about the lights I am using though due to the semi circle shape, like a crescent moon, of the cataract like thing in my fish's eyes. Im thinking that the angle of the rays of light shining down into their eyes is burning the lenses in this way. Is anyone here an expert on lights ?

Peterkarig3210

Re: Can some lights harm fish's eyes?

by Peterkarig3210

After removing the halide/floodlight my fish's eyes seem to be getting better.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

the lights can and will harm fishes eyes, it happens more often than most ppl think, having the proper lights is necessary for fish and plant health, i am thinking the flood light may have been a bit too much, i am pretty sure it's the same with humans, i find that if i am under incandescent lighting for long periods of time i get migraine headaches along with sore and easily stressed eyes. one way you could reduce the effects with out removing the lighting you have currently or buying super expensive lighting is to change your lighting cycle, instead of twelve hours of light drop down to eight and see if that helps.

hope this helps
brandon

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Thanks for the reply Brandon. I did remove the floodlight and the eyes continue to seem to be getting better.

evelynmarch26

by evelynmarch26

since you removed the blue one already, just go to the store and buy the pink one, which is intended to help with plant growth, if you have plants in your tank
if you don't just buy a regular white light

hope that helps
eve

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

The blue light is still working. It's the outdoor halide with a big bulb that was burning their eyes. After removing it a week ago the fish's eyes are amost completely better. I do have plants and will buy a VHO plant bulb soon to replace the blue one.

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

It might be just an eye infection. What kind of fish was it

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Freshwaterpleco. My fish healed up 100% months ago since I removed the floodlight. Thanks anyway.

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

Well you didn't tell me that peter

Deuce15663241

by Deuce15663241

Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:46 am Reply

After removing the halide/floodlight my fish's eyes seem to be getting better.

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:29 pm Reply

Thanks for the reply Brandon. I did remove the floodlight and the eyes continue to seem to be getting better.

Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:02 am Reply

The blue light is still working. It's the outdoor halide with a big bulb that was burning their eyes. After removing it a week ago the fish's eyes are amost completely better. I do have plants and will buy a VHO plant bulb soon to replace the blue one.

yea peter we didn't have the slightest clue that your fish might have been getting better

12 posts • Page 1 of 2