Clown Loaches with Malawi Cichlids?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

rmcardle8032

by rmcardle8032

I have 25 Malawi Cichlids ( mainly mbuna but a few Haps ). I see many tanks with Clown Loaches mixed with their Malawi Cichlids. Any issues or concerns I need to worry about?

esparzar1

by esparzar1

I have heard that there usually isn't a problem with adding them to a tank as long as it's big enough. I'm assuming you have a big tank if you have 25 malawis' in a tank? Again, I've only "heard/read" that adding them is okay. I would think that as long as you have at least a 75 gal or bigger, you should be okay. How big is your tank?

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Never mind....I just look at your user profile....lol, looks like you already have a 75gallon tank! I would think you would be okay with adding a clown. I think the biggest thing to watch for is the size. I wouldn't get a clown loach that's really small. I would try and get one "roughly" the same size as the malawi's in your tank. If you get one that's really small it probably will get picked on or possibly killed.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

clowns are also social fish. Consider that you will need a shoal of 5 for them to be happy. I'm really not sure what the benefit is of adding them in with malawis. So many malawis and 5 large clowns and you'll need some heavy water movment and filtration for things to go smoothly especially as the clowns mature and grow even larger..

The fx5 is nice but I'd consider some supplemental water movement (powerheads) or even internal filtration.

They may also be overly-shy in such a bright tank. Don't get me wrong, it looks nice, loaches just tend to be more comfortable in subdued lighting.

JazzyD_KingRoy

by JazzyD_KingRoy

I think Timer's advice is good.(power heads are good) My exprence is that the clown loaches work very well with malawi's. I have one in my tank, he has been there since the begining and i never had a problem. He seems to be happy and he is not shy at all. When its time to eat, hes rite there. He also swims with them as if he is one of them. The only thing you really need to be concerned with is the introduction. Because they usually live in a water with a lower ph than cichlids. When you first bring it home, you have 2 add a little water to the bag every 10 min or so for about 30 min. then you can relase him into the tank. Of course, he will be noticed by your cichlids, but he wont be a threat. i say get one...
Good luck, JazzyD

5 posts