Cleaning fishtank with mean green not on purpose help?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

CatherineG

by CatherineG

My mom had a bleach/water mix made in an old mean green bottle well I accidently grabbed the real mean green and sprayed my tank well I rinsed it really well and put bleach in it and let it set then rinsed it should I just get a new tank or will my fish be ok I mean im gonna let the tank cycle first before I put my fish back in it from the little tank but would I be better off getting a new one?

the57man

by the57man

I would clean it real good with sea salt (as if it was ajax) and a cleaning pad from the fish store and after that purge the tank. Purging is when you let water trickle into it over a long period of time and it just overflows washing away any traces of mean green. 24 hrs is good. Do this outside :-)
6eb20-hood light.jpg

the57man

by the57man

After reading your post again it is never a good idea to use any plastic spray bottle or plastic container that has had any chemical in it no mater how good you clean it out. chemicals absorb into the plastic to a certain extent and will leech out into water that is put into the container. Glass is not so bad but you really can't get into a glass bottle easily to clean it. Its best to have containers exclusivly for your tank. That way your safe. Still do the purge thing on your tank! Dave
6eb20-hood light.jpg

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Let the tank cycle with filters. Let it run for about a good 24 hours. Buy some NovAqua+ water conditioner, it'll break down all the toxic metals, chlorine.

Get your airstones running if you have them, to circulate enough oxygen throughout the tank.

Do an ammonia water test before you add the fish. If it is 0, and you have waited a good 24 hours, then you can put the fish back in.

You could put in about 2 tablespoon of aquarium salt to ease the stress. For a 10 gallon tank (please get a bigger one asap), 2 tablespoon is plenty.

In about 3 or 4 days, do another water test (ammonia), and if it is at 0 again, you'll be fine.

hope this helps

akakai

by akakai

Any luck with this tank? curious as to how it turned out

5 posts