old tank??

4 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Diminotron

old tank??

by Diminotron

i found an old 10 gallon tank in my garage and i am trying to decide if its a good idea to start a little brackish community in it. the only thing holding me back is the fact that this tank could be over six years old and it has been sitting in the heat for who knows how long.. it looks like its in fine condition but i don't know if its worth the risk of having 10 gallons poured on to the 2nd story floor of my house. is this tank durable enough to support 10 gallons or should i buy a new one??

thanks for any suggestions!
-Dimi

jweb

by jweb

The only thing you really need to check is the integrity of the silicone in the seams of the glass. Make sure no silicone is peeling off or is damaged. Then simply fill it with water outside as you would if you were to set it up normally in your house. Let it sit for a day or so and check for any leaks. If it doesn't leak and all the seams look good then I'd say it's passed inspection. If you don't feel 100% assured then go buy a new 10 gallon tank. They are very inexpensive for a basic glass tank.

What are you planning on putting in it as far as fish go?

Diminotron

by Diminotron

ok its had water in it all night so i think it will be ok. i was thinking about putting some small puffers in it after i finished cycling.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

if that's the case then you should note dwarf(pea/pygmy) puffers which are really the only puffers suitably sized for a 10gal aren't brackish water fish. That said, they're wonderful and entertaining to watch, and some have some pretty incredible personalities. They usually don't play well with others (even their own kind at times). So the recommended stocking ratio for them in a 10gal is 1 male to 2 or 3 females. You can also get a small school (6 or so) of fast moving dither fish such as tetras. Nothing with big fins or that might get big enough to eat the puffers themselves.
Their preferred diet is frozen bloodworms and in the aquatic hobby snails that are usually regarded as pests (ramshorn, pond, and malaysian trumpet snails). They love their escargot.

old tank??

4 posts