How often do you feed your Acan's and trumpet/candy canes?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

by newbie916

I've had my new tank up and running for a month now. It came with an awesome red with green stripe Acan colony with over 60 large heads and a neon green trumpet coral colony with over 70 heads. I've read different forums and articles that say to feed them daily and the Acan's could be fed multiple times. Do I have to feed each individual mouth or does feeding a dozen or so of the mouths feed the whole colony. They eat probably 10 large pieces of krill and I've been feeding them every other day. What do you guys think?

Thanks

jweb

by jweb

Well I'd say once a couple of days is probably fine, but feeding them more often would promote more growth and better coloration. I don't think it is even necessary to feed them it just helps them get more nutrients to grow and look lively. You gotta think about how it would be in nature. That coral isn't going to eat that much food in the wild. It will eat whatever is floating by and small particles or whatever fish are dropping around it. No one is going to the corals in the wild and placing food scraps on them all the time. Once every couple of days is fine in my opinion.

gldntrmite

by gldntrmite

I've got 2 sets of trumpets in my tank, once weekly phyto feeding is all i've ever given them and they have excellent color and growth. The older of the 2 had 10 heads when i acquired it 4 months ago, it now has 16 heads, the smaller and newer set only had 2 heads last month and now has 4. So i'd say that they are doing just fine without any special feeding schedule.

newbie916

by newbie916

Thanks guys, I fed the acan and trumpets last night and they ate up the krill and mysis shrimp without hesitation. I'll probably stick to every other day. I just don't want to over feed them and have water quality issues.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

You cant over feed Acans,They will literaly eat anything you give em, and several times a day, But all info is good ^Acans do need to eat some,they cant live only on light,Misis,brine ect is actualy unatural for them to eat but,has no bad effects exept babys =0

5 posts