Is a Knobby Starfish reef safe?

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jennyg49

by jennyg49

My lfs just sold me a bright red one. He said while the chocolate star isn't that this guy is. BUT this site (see link) says he's not.... anyone have one of these in your tank?

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03 ... arent_id=4

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

from what ive seen about star fish, most thicker bodied ones arent, like the chocolate chip and the red knob african, the skinny ones are most likely the more reef safe stars, There is a slight possiblity that they sold you it just to get rid of it, idk, if nobody on here is able to answer your question, every question i have ever had has been answered via the 'contact us' link at liveaquaria, they reply in 1 day but its the weekend so idk.

My guess: not reef safe, thats just me though... good luck

jweb

by jweb

Here is my rule of thumb:

If it looks like coral or has striking colors or crazy (out of the ordinary) frills to it, don't buy it for a reef tank.

There are some exceptions to this rule, but most of the time it is right on the money.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

agreed with Jweb.

Look at EVERY organism on reefs........nudis.......octopus.......slugs.....everything thats got insane colors..........poison........its a warning for you. Those guys will eat polyps. How about a basket star? They are cool. :)

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

LOOK REAL HARD. NOT WORTH HAVING A STAR THAT WILL WIPE EVERYTHING OUT OVER NIGHT

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

I have been told anty starfish with spines,bumps ect, STAY AWAY.

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

go with a linka or a nice red or ornge blittal star reef safe and a lot more active. my lfs has 3 ornge britle stars in there show tank.

7 posts