how to grow corals

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fishkeeper90

how to grow corals

by fishkeeper90

how do u get corals to grow in my sw tank i have the lights exellent filtration and live rock just need to no how to grow any kind of coral
thanks

megski

by megski

First you have to figure out which ones you want and then start supplementing your aquarium with the right elements they need.

I like to go here and look at different corals: www.liveaquaria.com

Basically you get your lights, get your levels right, pick out what types of corals you want, make sure you have what they need and put them where they'll do best on the live rock. Most of the coral frags come on little blocks or some other small substrate and you can either wedge it in to where your live rock goes, or you can apoxy them where you'd like them to go.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Get yourself a good two part solution, and dose it accordingly. High lighting is necessary and regular feedings is also helpful, but not a necessity and shouldnt be over fed.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

for fast track growing to sell i spot feed directly, big lights and 2 parts are also a good thing. Some corals will grow on their own with out supplements though

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Im putting two 150 halides over my 45.......that would be an example of....."Growing" corals. Plenty of light, aggresive feeding and great quality water.

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

ummmm fihsboy your going to burn the hell out of your corals that is way to much for a 45. i have 2 150hqi's on my 75 and i still have to limint big time how long the light is on. back on topic man it is so ez if you got a nise set of pc's thay work awsome for softies. with a smaller tank ether one metal halid or a good t5 set up would work just great for stonies or softies. dose once a week with trace eliments and a nice 2 part buffer and watch um grow. simpal cheep and you will still love your tank with out droping your lifes saveings into it.

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

o and the jake on your avitar is amazing looking

fihsboy

by fihsboy

You think? My lfs has a 250 on a 20 gallon. :) and two 250's and a 400 on a 75 gallon. My corals that I buy are used to this crazy amount of light. :) I was honestly considering running two 250's..........but the heat would be way too much.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

Two 150s are a perfect match for a 45 IMO, This is a hard Question to answer without knowing what you plan to keep.Every coral out there has diffrent needs in light,filtration and feeding..

SWP

fihsboy

by fihsboy

its a mixed reef, softies and sps. Probably going to lean more towards crazy expenisive sps now that Im going the metal halide route. Like tyree rainbow acros and maybe mix 4 colors of motipora caps on one rock and let them grow into a rainbow monti cap. :)

how to grow corals

14 posts • Page 1 of 2