Nitrate Levels were through the Roof.

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

megski

by megski

I tested all of my water Sunday afternoon and realized I was missing a nitrate test, I've been testing my water all along and had some how forgotten about it. I went down to the store and bought a test. I waited until my son went to sleep to test and the tested water turned blood red in the vile. I was doing a 50% water change around 9:30-10:00 last night and my husband got in around 11 and shut off the filter and everything else, we didn't want to splash water on anything. It took me forever because I haven't used a siphoning tube in years and it was such a pain. When I got the water out and clean water in, we turned the filter on and it crapped out on us. I had the regular aqueon filter that came with my aquarium and it refused to work, even full of water and the aquarium full. It just puttered out a few bubbles and wouldn't suck anything into it, even with new media. Today I went out and bought an emporer by marineland. It works a lot better and I like how the water ripples off the wheel and across the surface of the water. I didn't get finished with the fish tank until around 1 a.m. because I didn't have enough water to finish filling it and had to make more. Both of my fish bit my fingers, they were so pissed at me playing in the fish tank. I'm still glad I have fish, lol.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

LMAO !!! what an adventure eh?

Glad to here everybody survived

jnelson1983

by jnelson1983

Did you check the impeller on your filter? Also, if not, how long has it been since you pulled the impeller out and cleaned it up some? i've seen a decent amount of filters that had poor output due to a dirty impeller (can't rotate as quickly) and once cleaned, they worked like a champ.

jnelson1983

by jnelson1983

Did you check the impeller on your filter? Also, if not, how long has it been since you pulled the impeller out and cleaned it up some? i've seen a decent amount of filters that had poor output due to a dirty impeller (can't rotate as quickly) and once cleaned, they worked like a champ.

megski

by megski

I wake up this morning and my heater has died!!! Aghhh! So now I've got to go out and buy one of those. Gah. I'm surprised nothing has died yet, I'm going to be very upset if something happens to my animals.

megski

by megski

Yeah, we cleaned it, still nothing though. It was just a cheapy.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Megs are you buying good quality gear??
If i can only offer 1 bit of advise, BUY THE GOOD SHIT, research everyitem on here with the guys first.

7 posts