Finally 55 gallon up and running

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

After months of research and going back and fourth on what type of tank I wanted, I finally went with the Mbuna tank, got it cycled, and now it's up and running!!!!! I bought my first two fish today. One male pseudotropheus saulosi and one metriaclima estherae (red zebra). They're both so tiny (only about 1 inch long) I figure I'll give them a couple weeks to feel out the tank before and add more. Please look at my profile and let me know what I could do to improve my tank!!!!!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I like the rock caves, very nice effect. The fish will feel quite secure in the rocks.

It looks just fine here except maybe in the future you may want to add more live plants.

Outside of this, very nice layout!

dizzcat

by dizzcat

If you go with live plants and Mbuna you will be forever replanting the plants. They will dig them up constantly and eat them. I have tried a couple live plants and they get full of holes within a day. The fish just love to nibble them. I have heard that anubias and java Ferns can be hardy enough to handle the Mbuna's nibbles. You can tie these plants to a rock or wood to hold them down.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Thanks for the replies! I think I'm gonna aviod any type of real plants for now. I might add a java fern down the road.

jweb

by jweb

I can testify that Mbuna don't like to eat java fern, but they still uproot them everyday.

5 posts