Fish Compatibility

19 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Rachie9643

Fish Compatibility

by Rachie9643

Hey everyone, so I had started a thread earlier about something completely different and it kinda became a discussion about what would work so I decided to toss the new question into a new thread.

So here's the question, I've been planning out a 30 gallon tank and the last thing left is the fish compatibility. Originally I was planning to have 2 angelfish, 2 dwarf gourami, 1 pearl gourami, 1 red tail shark, and 2 tiger-banded peckoltia. However, after much discussion and a little more research, I've found out that I should probably just keep 1 dwarf gourami and 1 pearl gourami. Anyways, the question would be how do you think these breeds would get along? I've also thought of adding swordtail fish.

If anyone also has some good ideas for a combination for a tank let me know, I'm always open for more inputs.

CedricAndCandy7566

by CedricAndCandy7566

Hi Rachie...I may have missed your previous discussion, but why have you decided to only have 1 dwarf and 1 pearl gourami. I had 1 pearl, 1 blue and 2 dwarf gouramis living together for many years.

They all should get along fine together, including the swordtails. The difficult thing with fish species is that some angels can be quite agressive, particularly if you have a breeding pair. On the other hand you can also get some really peacful ones. Also pearl gouramis - sometimes they can be very skittish and not like to be around smaller fish but on the other hand they can also be king of the tank.

But going on my experience, and I have actually had all of those fish that you've mentioned, I reckon you'll be fine with that selection of fish species.

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Ahh, ok yeah well someone commented on possible dwarf gourami aggression and then I later read that sometimes it is possible, I was going to get 2 so maybe I will return to that plan. What did you think of the red tail shark with the peckoltia? Is that something that you had some knowledge on as well?

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I have heard that Red Tailed sharks get aggressive as they age. I have a Rainbow shark (the black ones with red fins) and it is over 5" and aggressive as heck! There is no way it would do in my community tank. I advise against them, they get big and mean.

Just my 2 cents, for what its worth :-)

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

oh i thought they only really got aggressive with like species that look them themselves

CedricAndCandy7566

by CedricAndCandy7566

Dizzcat could well be right...I find that the red tails are only agressive towards their own species or species that look similar to them. But perhaps some can just be agressive all round!

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Yeah, I considered that possibility, although I think if I try and pick out a not as dominant one from the breeder's tank it should do a little better in a community setting maybe? Also what do you guys think of Blue Rams? Not thinking about putting them with this setup but also another fish I was looking to set up a tank for. Are Ram's ok with each other if I buy a pair?

CedricAndCandy7566

by CedricAndCandy7566

Re the red tail shark - if you are prepared to monitor your tank closely and possibly return or swap your fish; maybe try the shark as a juvenile. You may find its not dominant against the other fish you've chosen, and if it is your pet store should take it back.

zambize

by zambize

Red-tailed sharks and rainbow sharks aren't usually mean, just territorial and if they aren't in a big enough tank, or in an overcrowded tank, and not allowed to have their space they will be aggressive. When they are allowed to stake out their own territory, they will usually just harass any fish that enters that space. I've had both and researched both extensively. The smallest I would go with one is 40 gallons, and that's with few fish. Also, the smallest tank recommended for angelfish is a 40 gallon tall. They get quite large, way larger than a 30 gallon will hold. If you get swordtails, you can only have one male. The males will fight to the death when they are both old enough to show swords. I wouldn't get only 2 rams, get at least 3. They are aggressive with each other and they need to spread out the aggression. Also, blue rams need softer water and are fairly sensitive fish. That's why I mentioned Bolivian Rams earlier. They are much hardier, but similar in appearance. Someone mentioned Pearl Gourami being aggressive. I disagree. I've had all sorts of gourami and I've done much research on them, too. The pearl gourami is considered the least aggressive of the larger gourami and that's been my experience. And remember to stay away from the blue dwarf gourami. It isn't a natural coloration, it is man-made and isn't very hardy at all, very susceptible to illness.

Z

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Oo nice work Z ^_^ dug up a lot of info for this one. Ok so I guess that the sharks will be a bit territorial no matter how I look at it. I suppose that I should then either go with monitoring the fish and if I see aggression just separate them out into their own tank, or option number two is to swap out my fish setup again.

Pearl Gourami so far have been the only fish that hasn't been picked at so those are definitely staying in the tank. As far as angelfish go, I think there are smaller breeds however I'm now debating on whether I even want to go through the trouble of keeping them. I really am set on the shark so I'm not quite ready to give him up yet. Anyone have any other ideas on how to fill out my tank then =P so far the setup would be something like 1 or 2 Pearl Gourami (I'm not sure if they can be aggressive with each other) and the shark that I am so set on getting xD.

Also to Z, about the Dwarf Gourami, I didn't know that the blue one was man made, interesting to know about. Do you know much about the rest of the Dwarf Gourami, such as Red Dwarf or Fire Red Dwarf? If so anyone who has information on that it would be much appreciated.

Fish Compatibility

19 posts • Page 1 of 2