Filter bag in Penguin 150

19 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Does anyone use a filter bag in a Penguin 150? I want to get one and fill it with additional carbon but it doesnt look like theres much room in there for this. Also, where does the filter bag go, between the cartridge and bio-wheel or between the intake and the cartridge ( i would imagine it getting very dirty if before the cartridge, but no room between cartridge and biowheel).

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

spongebob ,do you have a second slot for2 filterpads? also aqua clear filters are nice you can add a few kinds of media and more of what your tank demands.
swp

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

I run a whisper filter - -took the cartridge out completly and filled it [not the pump side] up with Ehiem Mech to about 1 -1 1/2 inches from the "spillway" i then put carbon in a bag and lay it on top of the Mech and the water runs throught the mech and then through the bag into the tank - - the mech gets all kinds of green and brown bactieria on it - -i dump the filter into my water that i remove during a water change every other week swish it around and put it back together - -i change the carbon every 2 weeks as well - -this works extreamly well for me - - you could buy a small nano HOT filter and do the same thing and keep your present filter running in stock configuration

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

yes i have two slots. The one nearest the biowheel stays empty, there isnt enough room there for a bag. I might do as snowboss suggests and get an additional small HOB filter just for carbon.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Well, in response to putting it before the fiter pads, dirty is better than nothing if that's the only place you can fit it. You can also buy ammo-chips, or they make a combo of charcoal and ammo-chips and put it in there. I put cylindrical sponge filters on the intake of some of my hang-on filters, and this keeps the filter cleaner (requires less cleaning) and more conducive to growing bacteria, it grows bacteria itself very well, and when it gets clogged you can just rinse it in the sink. The way to clean it is to fill the sponge with water and smack it against your hand. Somehow this gets more crap out of it than just squeezing it under running water. It'll totally increase the capacity of your filter.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

well, i just purchased a $15 whisper filter with 90 gph, as its the biggest that will fit near my Penguin. I will only put carbon in there with my media bag, and attach a sponge as u mentioned. Thanks for the input everyone.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Sounds good! I've got tonnes of hang-on filters, skimmers, about 20 powerheads, etc etc etc. I double up the hang-on's in the two tanks that I'm using them in, and I even installed one of my skimmers to a freshwater tank. It has no other purpose than to look cool. It looks like a water tornado. Some guy sold me a truck load (literally) of aquarium stuff for only $240.00. The 100 gallon tank, 4 others, cabinets, you name it, it was in there.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i would still put some thing in the bottom of the filter so the bag lays sideways and all the water returning to the tank has to run through it - -ammo chips was a good suggestion as well as the pre filter sponge - -the mech i use is like 8 bucks for a box that will fill that filter 4-5 times - -just my opinion - -hey PK wanna sell a couple Hot filters - -i got a 10 gallon id like to set up for a lion fish - -id like a filter that will do 50-75 gallons and a single power head FO tank ---OFO actually [one fish only] lol

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Actually most of the hang-on filters are either in use, or in so many pieces I can't figure out what goes to what. When you have piles of similar function parts it's sometimes hard to get a match. Sorry! I have complete powerheads aplenty though. It was this guy who's wife pulled one of those "It's either the fish tanks go or or I go!" stunts, and he sold me everything he had obviously been collecting for years. SNOWBOSS: Don't you live in Canada? Would it even be worth sending you a powerhead or two? If You really wan't a PH send a mess to my inbox.

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

First is the cotton then the carbon then more cotton

19 posts • Page 1 of 2