What is happening to my clown fish?

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

megski

by megski

Yesterday I noticed her belly was a little bulgy, but I figured she had just eaten too much. When I fed my fish today, her belly was even larger and I can see some darker coloration inside of her belly. Its more of her breast than belly that is swollen. The smaller of my fish is always trying to be close to her, twitching and flopping around. I don't know if this is mating behavior or not. I took some pictures that I will post links to later, I managed to capture her belly and the color. If she is sick, is there a way of telling what exactly she is sick with and a type of treatment? Thanks in advance for all your help.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

hummm lets start with the basics.... what are your water parameters, temp, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, sg, ph ......... the usual......
next what are you feeding your fish and how much?
next how many clowns do you have??? Do you have a mated pair?
How is your bellied clownfish behaving? eratic? normal?

IMO.... pregnant fish...........
p.s is it a percula?

megski

by megski

My water temp. Is 77-78 degrees, I just tested all of my levels and they are normal. They eat formula one for omnivors, and every once in a while get some mysis shrimp that I try to give my pom pom crab. Her behavior seems normal, although she is zipping around the tank a little more rapidly than normal. I know these two fish came from the same brood or group of fish from my dealer, but I don't know if they're a mated pair. I know they're percula, but I don't know if they're true or false. My dealer said they were true perc, but I'm not sure.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

PREGNANT
She has a gut full of eggs by the sound of it.
Clowns lay eggs every 12-18 days, generally at the base of an anemone.
But if there is no anemone they will do it some where close to were they sleep.
The female, the larger of the two, will lay eggs, then the male will fertilize the eggs straight after.
Some times blowing on them with there mouth or fins.
This process will take around two hours.
If you look close there should be a real small white tube coming out around near their buts, just before they lay and fertilize.
The eggs will be protected by the clowns and anything coming close will be shewed away.
The eggs should be a orange color if the clowns are healthy.
They will eventually turn to a silvery color, and you will be able to see there eyes in their sacks.
Around this time is when they will hatch, a couple hours after lights out.
Then they will get eaten unfortunately, unless you get the out just before hatching, or immediately just after
You must read up on raring clowns, they require rotifers to eat and lots of them.
And have to be in a seperate area so nothing eats them.

Read this to help you more, as my knowledge is only limited.
http://www.breedclownfish.com/

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

also the fish would have been pecking at rock were they are going to lay the eggs. protective behavior of an area is a good sign, sometimes the smaller fish will fit in front of the female like he has epilepsy, like a sex dance sort of.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I cant get my clowns to breed for anything! AHH! lucky!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

you know your a redneck when the hair algae in your tank gets bad enough that your clown fish start hosting it ................................. im so ashamed. its funny as hell but im very very depressed about this stuff

CONGRATS on becomeing a grandparent about 87 times over ....lol !!!!!

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Sorry to laugh snow boss but that is some funny shit. Like i said sorry bout the algae but the picture in my mind of your clowns frolicking in the hair algae makes me laugh

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

lol no prob....it is kinda funny to watch em

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

hey i jus had a thought..............maybe instead of stressing so much about this hair algae......................i should just start entering the planted tank section

LMAO

14 posts • Page 1 of 2