Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Reaper_Chris13

Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish

by Reaper_Chris13

Well, the other day i woke up around 9A.M. and heard some loud noises from my tank. I forcefully turned my light on ( Timer of course ) to see my lionfish spazzing out hitting my rock and then going lifeless. He would do this about every two minutes or so until he dove face first into the sand and there he stayed for 5 minutes until i had to fish him out he had died. I had him for 2 and a half years and he was maybe 6 months old when i bought him any suggestions on what caused his death? Oh and for about a month he had been sitting in the same region with almost no color until he moved.. also another weird thing is thta my Snowflake Eel obviously knows something becuase he has not been out of hiding place for atleast 2 days and when i come up to the tank he sets his head out and looks at me

jnelson1983

by jnelson1983

First and foremost, test your water. See how your chemical levels are doing (Main 3: Nitrite, Amonia and Nitrate).

If you have really high levels of Nitrite and/or Amonia....that's most likely the cause. Do a water change, and toss some Amquel Plus in the water (Takes out Nitrite, Amonia and Nitrate, plus chlorine, chloramines and helps get rid of dissolved organic matter).

The 2nd option is to check, if you have kids or careless people around your tank, is if anything was accidentally dropped into the water (Soap, cleaner, etc).

The 3rd option...do you have any other poisonous fish? He might have gotten stung.

The 4th option, since Lionfish don't seem to understand the concept of "I'm full, stop eating"....is if you fed him too much, his stomach might have exploded/ruptured and your lionfish had it's insides go septic.

The 5th option is to look at EVERY other fish in your tank and see if they have any other types of infections or parasites.

Above and beyond those 5 options, no clue man.

Reaper_Chris13

by Reaper_Chris13

Well,
1. we tested the water nothing was wrong and we just did a water change recently a week or two before
2. The tank is closed so thats out of the window
3. The only other things in the tank is an Eel and a starfish
4. The night before we tried feeding him but he did not eat for a day or two before it happened
5. Makes most sense but the Eel looks fine and so does everything else

jnelson1983

by jnelson1983

For #4, that happens. Was his stomach expanded like he had eaten a lot, even though he hadn't? If it seemed empty (or at least not full), then no. If it was swollen up like he had eaten, then that's likely the issue.

Above and beyond that, nothing would make sense that'd cause your lionfish to cause them to behave that way. The only other logical one would have been water poisoning of some sort.

Reaper_Chris13

by Reaper_Chris13

He was freaking out for about 15 minutes if that helps any

barnsey

by barnsey

Hi :)

1) What have you been feeding your Lion Fish?

2) How often did you feed him?

3) Other signs of stress,cloudy eyes,yawning,breathing HeavilY?

4)What did he/she last eat?

I

megski

by megski

I am no expert on fish, but from what it sounds like, your little guy was having seizures. I'm not sure if fish can have seizures, but thats what it sounds like to me-or atleast some type of neurological problem. Is it possible he could have some how ingested his own venoms?

Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish

7 posts