free of charge

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

breaknrun911

free of charge

by breaknrun911

i was browsing on craigslist and i came across a post that had someone GIVING a 150gal way. all i had to do is come and pick it up. they say it has a light system and a smaller tank to go in the stand for a refugium, or sump. they were unclear. can you guys give me some hardware that i would need for a tank this size? i have a 50 gal now. so i know i wont be able to use any of that hardware. i know the hobby is expensive please help me find some stuff that wont kill me in the wallet area, but is realiable and i can get a couple of years out of it.

snowboss

by snowboss

hardware as far as what? - are you going to run a sump? a fuge? set up a coral tank? a fish only tank? all these directions dictate money being spent in different areas IE a fish only tank doesnt require such intense lighting as say a coral tank does...........................

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

probably a fuge. i want to have a coral tank. rite now i only have a FOWLR tank. this is why i ask what hardware to get b/c i want to have a coral tank and i dont want to do something competley wrong b/c i didnt ask. the tank that i am getting has a lighting system that was bought specially for a coral tank. the previous owner already sold everything else.
thanks in advance Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Get yourself a reef octopus skimmer. :)
http://www.saltysupply.com/Reef-Octopus ... -s/838.htm

I just discovered these bad boys. HOLY CRAP they are powerful. They put my remora to shame, and I would reccomend the remora over the Red Sea skimmers and the coralife skimmers. Does it have overflows? Do you have triggers?(they gotta go if you do) If your running a sump, get a filter sock for your drain to your sump, worth its weight in gold. :)

snowboss

by snowboss

agree with fishboy...............monster skimmer is a must, I have a euroreef series 3 rated at 1500 gph, good skimmer, the octopus is a great one as well as ASM {the bigger ones, G-4 and up}

you said the tank came with lighting, what kind? how many watts per bulb and type { poercompacts, metal halides, actinic, T-5 etc combination of them.....}

i think priority of money spent would be {IMO}

top 3 - lighting, skimming and filtration

then substrate, rock {aquascape}

a good long cycle [3-6 months minimum]

then inhabitants

there are plenty of DIY ideas out here for saving money, but be prepared to spend a couple grand over the next year easily - not trying to scare you - - -just prepare you, lol

if it makes you feel better, rich people who just pay someone to do a tank this size will spend 8000-10000 dollars without even thinking about it - - - - -2000 looks pretty good now eh??

lol

welcome to moster tanks bud

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

just a lil thought with my miniscule input, my reef tank, no sump or fuge... not alot of corals or expensive fish, 3000$ for 70 gallons, so if you set up an equation than that would make your 150 gallon roughly 6500-7000 i suppose :)))

newbie916

by newbie916

I agree with Blue. This hobby is very expensive and 150 gallon coral tank will cost at least $6k. I've spent over $5k on my 95 gallon and I just picked up a 24 gallon, which would have cost over $2k if I bought it new. Fortunately, the guy sold it to me with everything. I wouldn't do it, if you don't have the funds. It'll just give you a headache and empty out your wallet.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

thanks everyone. i understand how expensive it is. and i am ready for the challenge. i do have the time, effort and finances to put forward to make sure it gets done right. that is why i asked what the best products were to buy. im hoping to have it up and running with the livestock from my 50gal within the next month or 2. pics will def be posted

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

a month is not near long enough to cycle a 150 gallon tank, believe me i pushed a 20 gallon tank cycle my first go round and after 5 months of struggling and killing fish it totally crashed, total lose........... i started over and did a fishless cycle for 4 months and the tank has been bullet proof other than a hair algae issue im dealing with right now for over 2 yrs.

im in the process of setting up a 120 in the wall tank and it will cycle for at least 6 months before much more than a cleaner crew gets put in there

just becarful

Boss

jweb

by jweb

150 gallon is serious money. Your looking at $1500 for a "decent" startup. That's if you can buy things at a good price. A local in my area is selling a 330 gallon tank for $1600 (just the tank).

free of charge

11 posts • Page 1 of 2