cement

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

tristan

cement

by tristan

is cement toxic to fish if you want to stick pieces of limestone or rocks together

i have a freshwater tank and its run on a sponge filter

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Are you wanting to make a background for the tank? Or just glue pieces together? If gluing together, use silicone. Make sure it is GE silicone 1 Not 2 or any other kind.. Just pick some up at the fish store. Once you glue it together, wait for about 48 hours for it to set and the stink to go away before you put them in the tank. I like it better than epoxy, because the epoxy is white. Silicone is stronger and holds longer.

tristan

by tristan

thanks

simple69

by simple69

You could use cement but the Silicone will work better for glueing rocks together. The other problem with cement is it can take weeks for teh toxins to be leached out before it is safe for you to put fish in with it. Its a long process of adding and removing wather and salts and such to get it safe for fish. I did a background once and it was a pain but turned out pretty good.

Dizz is right though you do want hte GE Silicone 1 as it is aquarium safe

morbus6373

by morbus6373

I think the biggest problem would be the cement leaching bucket load of carbonates into your water! but, the dilution effect of a tank with abit of cement will probably help alot. . .
My 20c

keeping your pH low would help to get rid of it! this reaction will give you water (which is ok in a fish tank :)) and some salt which is totally fine also

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

silicone is best.

if you place the heavier rocks wedged into gravel, then lighter rocks on top, you'll have no need for any silicone or epoxy. I have sandstone, slate, river rock, I never used silicone or epoxy. I wedge the pieces into gravel, and placed large rocks as the foundation, then used pieces of slate to build levels.

cement

6 posts