Going to set up new tank need help.

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

sorin15

by sorin15

I want to make a new salt water tank and need help on what i need for it. I was thinking it is going to be a 55g with 2-3 power heads, live rock about 1 pound for ever 5g, and live sand(Can anyone tell me what this is can't find out what it is really.) Do i need any other fillters or is live rock good enough.

snowboss

by snowboss

you definately want a filter - -3-4 times the size of your tanks IE.....200-300 gph - you can use a couple hang on back filters or get a canister or set up a sump preferance right now . . .hang on backs are cheap and easy but ugly canisters are good work horses but a lil more labor intense for servicing unless you spend a lot of money for a high end one and sumps take up room can be noisy but are the most effective and natural and more condusive to changes, experiments and upgrades plus it adds that much more water to your system.

live sand is simply sand harvested from either the ocean or established tanks and has good bactierias and critters and stuff in it that will help establish your tank - -i recomend arag-live - - look on drs. foster and smith.com or other supply sites - -i support the 1 lb per gallon rule of thumb myself - - and suggest 40 lbs of sand and 30-40 lbs of rock to start -- -do a long solid cycle and get some good lights and you'll be ready for fish !!!!!!

Boss

sorin15

by sorin15

You think I would need a protien skimmer?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

In short......yes. :) Certainly would help more than anything else. You could not buy a another filter....but your protein skimmer should be one piece of equipment you should not skimp on. :)

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ahh.... one of the famous "setting up new tank need advise" posts....... haha

5 posts