Para-Guard

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

littlej2455

Para-Guard

by littlej2455

I put this in my tank because one of my fish some how got a internal bacteria infection. I used a full dosage of para-guard once I discovered the illness. I treated my main tank with the antibiotic because I noticed that another fish had a small spot on it that looked like another internal bacteria infection. Ever since I added the medication, it seems like all of my other fish are more stressed, meaning they increased their breathing rates. I did not think this medication was suppose to do this, because I have heard of people even using this medication to introduce new tank mates in a quarantine tank. My question is, is it suppose to be stressing my fish out? And should i turn off my UV? I took out the carbon, but should the UV also be taken out for the correct treatment?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I would leave the UV on, It will help continue to kill the parasites. As far as the Para-Guard, Do big water changes. Thats the only way to rid the stuff. The problem with meds.......it suffocates not only the parasite or disease.....but it stresses the fish even more. I would reccomend epsom salt....I use it in my tank when I see something abnormal. So far its helped me with a six line wrasse that had pop eye in both eyes and a clown that had LLE. small doses weekly of epsom is the way to go. I dont know why.....but it works.

littlej2455

by littlej2455

Ok i will have to look at that. The only fish now that has any sign of a disease is the blue tang. He has some type of red rash near his spike near the dorsal fin. I am not 100% that it is an internal bacteria infection because he has been rubbing up against things lately, which means that he would have some sort of parasite anyway. Any more advice?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

pics? It might be the meds have burnt his gills. Which can happen as well. Just water change your para guard out and do you have your skimmer on? That should take most of it out. The skimmate should be a different color than usual. The key to meds is to make sure you dont OD...cause that hurts more than it helps. I would seariously consider trying out the epsom salt though. I dont know who all it has worked for....but I tried it out and it worked great. :) Im glad your fishies are getting better!!

littlej2455

by littlej2455

Yeah I have a protein skimmer, and a UV. That is why I am surprised that any sort of bacteria infection got into my tank. I do a 10% water change every week, and I haven't changed anything up. I will try to get some pictures of the blue tang. He has slowed down on the rubbing against things, which is good. I hope that he rubbed all of the parasite off. What would the burnt gills look like?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

redness. like a rash.just inflammed and red. Time heals all wounds. :)

littlej2455

by littlej2455

Yeah the tail looks a lot better. He just has a few white spots on him near the top of his body, and if I look really close at his body, the lower half has spots on it too. They are not white however but they look like a darker blue. I think this might still be parts of the internal bacteria infection. Any other ideas? I am treating the tank with Para-Guard which is a pretty widely range medication. Any advice will help.

Para-Guard

7 posts