skimmer mod

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

snowboss

skimmer mod

by snowboss

SWP - -the skimmer is running great now

I have a prizm HOT skimmer with a skim cup on the intake {intake is submersed like a HOT filter pick up, with a cup around that is height adjustable so you can raise it and lower it to allow water to drop into it and be picked up by the skimmer --- hence skimming verses just pumping water through it like a filter - -the problem is that it only works in a small window of time between to full from a top off and to low from evaporation - -what I would like to do is figure out a way to "float" the cup so it stays at the same level no matter what the water height is, it is attached to the pick up on a track, it slides up and down with a thumb lever adjustment - -any thoughts ????

gumbii

by gumbii

will it free float if it's loose...? i know that some skimmer attachments that they sell for canisters and such... the cup floats freely, and is held up by a rubber ring that has air on it...

now if you can't find a rubber ring that fits perfectly and will float, i think you're going to glue some styrofoam or something else... look around for anything that might work... but that's something that i would want to modify as well...

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

interesting.....I knew if i thought of it ........someone else must have already done so. I've not seen anything like that but will be doing some more indepth research on them - maybe I can modify mine to match - -might even be able to get a retro fit attachment or something - -if you have a link to ths type of skimmer that would be very helpful

mine is attached to a track on the intake tube - -it doesn't float by itself - -when it gets full of water it just sinks

gumbii

by gumbii

hold on brother...

here it is brohiem...
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=12703

good luck making that work... LOL...

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

interesting - -i like the way that looks - i just happen to have an extra intake for the Prizm - -i think i could cut it down and hook some kind of flex hose to this atachment - -and 14 bucks for a floating skimmer - -awsome

I think there should be a "MOD" section to post pics on so we can see each others fixs and inventions - i made my own hood and know others have and would love to see that kind of stuff

gumbii

by gumbii

the DIY's should be in the article sections... i have a bunch of stuff that i've built, and still have the pics and write-ups... but javier doesn't need them i guess...

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

3 weeks ago i em the webmaster about posting pics...he ignored me

gumbii

by gumbii

IBSOMEONESAYSMUTANY!...

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

eerrrr what does that say?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

AAARARRRRRRRR I'm cutting off my leg and going to use a filter intake for a peg leg - - -i'm ready for a mutany

Oh mister Web master ...........won't you please let us post mod pics and directions ??????????

site should be

1 salt\ reef
2 fresh water
3 general

4 mods

skimmer mod

13 posts • Page 1 of 2