Otocinclus Mystery

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

ChristinaBug2890

Otocinclus Mystery

by ChristinaBug2890

One of my otos is MIA. Not sure if he jumped ship, got squished, or was eaten. He's been in there for almost a year and never had any issues even though i hear they're hard to keep alive sometimes. I'v got one still in there but really need another to keep the algae down. In the possible case that they're being eaten, is there an alternative fish for keeping down green algae (NOT A PLECO) that stays pretty small?

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that!

I went thru 4 before two finally lived. I have read that the shipping, etc, is very hard on them and that if you can keep it alive for a month you should be OK. I have had two for almost a year and found one of them this morning floating on top of my plant dead :-( Poor lil guy. I don't know when he died, they are so hard to see in a planted tank! So now I need to get another one or two. I know what you mean about Pleco's, I don't want one either. I had one and it has always been my lil Otto's who did a good job on the algae. Plus Otto's don't damage live plants.

zambize

by zambize

I've got a sailfin pleco in a planted tank and he doesn't bother any plants. How about some red cherry shrimp for the algae? Talk about small....and cute to boot.

As for your oto, did you check in the filter? The skeletal remains of otos is very tiny and I've found them in odd places...

Zambize

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

otocinclus catfish, unless the tank has plenty algae, seldom last long. It is probably dead somewhere in the tank unless you have frogs or other fish that ate it.

Reason an Oto is so cheap because they do not last long. I have these catfish, and I have found, unless there is plentiful algae, you will lose these catfish in a short amount of time.

Snails are your best bet for cleanliness.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Dizzcat: Im sorry to hear about urs too. :( Doesnt it suck to have everything work out so well for so long and then all of the sudden BAM! I was so proud of my success so far and then this. On the up side...it could always be worse right? At least my tank didnt explode or something...lol

Iv got plenty of algae...plenty. Its on the back wall and i have two pieces of drift wood that have it growing like moss all over them. The Otos usually did half a wall at a time and snacked on the drift wood. By the time they finish one half, the other half is covered, then when they move and finish that half, the first one is grown back. There was always extra which I dont mind a bit...i just dont want it to take over.

Negative on the snails, iv got loaches. And i think my parrots would eat shrimp :( Z i checked the filter and no luck finding any skeleton. The other Oto that I'v still got (and have had for a little over a year) is still doing fine...I hope if i get another it will do well.

I'll try to find some good looking ones...my research started me off...to look for ones with pointy fins not jagged or rounded ones, good body shape, etc. etc. I'll shop around.

zambize

by zambize

I have good luck with otos. If they get past the first month or so I have them for a while.

Z

Otocinclus Mystery

6 posts